Cordyline problem.

karl66

Cordyline problem.

Post by karl66 »

I planted a large 12ft specimen at the bottom of the garden last november, i did raise it slightly because of the natural spring we have under the garden in this area, but the last few wks it has been literally submerged in 6inches of water around the trunk!!, I'm sure i read on this forum that cordys dont like root disturbance but i really could do with lifting it slightly & building it onto a higher mound?, whats the best way for me to tackle the problem. karl.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Cordyline problem.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I remeber watching a Bear Grylls episode where he was wading waist deep through swampland that was covered in Cordys. Maybe they were all on the banks but it looked like they were in the water.

Sean will know if they are OK in water I suspect.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Sorry Ive fallen short of expectations again Gogg :oops: I have very little experience with Cordyline australis. I do think they can take poor drainage but once again wet soil/cold could be a different thing.

Karl is it showing any signs of not coping with the water? Yellowing leaves or mushy round the base? Id probably monitor it rather than disturb it unnecessarily but then again its a 12 feet tall plant so its not a loss you could just brush off. Maybe post some pics for us to have a look at?
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve also found that they don`t like root disturbance. The leaves yellow quite a bit after transplanting and all the older ones seem to die off quite quickly. I`ve planted 4 of these in my garden in the last year and all went downhill after i planted them. They`re very quick growing though where i live and all have now bounced back and seem to be doing well now they`re fairly established. I don`t think they`d be too happy growing in pools of water though.I would be very worried about root or stem rot setting in.Especially with the lack of sun we`re having this Summer. It`s a difficult question Karl. Personally i wouldn`t want to leave it growing in pools of water but i`d be wary of lifting it again too. I`d keep my eye on it. If the `New` growth on it starts to yellow then you know you`ve got a problem.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I don't know the answer but I can't see them being at all happy in that much standing water. I would chance the risk of root disturbance and get it moved/raised. Much more likely to bounce back from a move than survive this "summer" of rain
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Check this link:

http://www.rainbowtrees.co.nz/trees/pro ... 179&pid=22

it says
Its ability to withstand a wide variety of growing conditions from swamps, streamsides, and coastal lowlands to forest margins has made the cordyline a popular garden plant
And HERE is some photographic evidence.

;)
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

That`s interesting Goggs But i still think that maybe a Cordyline might be happy growing in swampy conditions in a warm climate ( or at least somewhere that sees a good degree of sunshine) and still rot in a climate like ours. I`d still say leave it be for now and keep an eye on the new growth. As long as the new growth is green then it should be ok. As soon as new growth appears yellow then get it out. Luckily they`re quite fast growers so usually tell us quite quickly if they`re not happy.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I'd move it personally, it won't disturb the roots too much if it's only been planted since November, and if it's sitting in water now, it might grow well now, but come winter it'll either rot the roots if the winters wet and mild, or freeze the roots if it's a cold one.
Last winter was reasonably mild, and exceptionally dry, so you've been lucky with it so far.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Some great posts above and I agree with what Gogglebox said, but if it was only planted in Nov and the area is prone to waterlogging, I think moving it now to a dryer spot (or just raising it up) would be okay. Any later in the year and it might be too late and cause too much root disturbance.