t.rex question for dave (and anybody who knows)

Mr List

t.rex question for dave (and anybody who knows)

Post by Mr List »

i remember dave has two rexes, the proper 'rex' like what bob has, i think daves calls it monster
and another cornish grooved.

dave, you said one of the two is more prone to suckering for you , which one is it?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: t.rex question for dave (and anybody who knows)

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:i remember dave has two rexes, the proper 'rex' like what bob has, i think daves calls it monster
and another cornish grooved.

dave, you said one of the two is more prone to suckering for you , which one is it?
Yes Ken the Cornish grooved has more pups :lol: about 30 a year, while the Monster only has about 27 a year :lol: :lol: They both pup prolifically :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

lol, i was thinking if things go south with the gunnera killipiana i might put another rex there.

where can you get the 'monster'?

reading through the t.rex thread on growingontheedge it seems the mulu one is the proper rex type and the others were called rex after ,they are just large leaved hardy forms.
simon

Post by simon »

Mr List wrote:reading through the t.rex thread on growingontheedge it seems the mulu one is the proper rex type and the others were called rex after ,they are just large leaved hardy forms.
I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that. Rex was a seed collection, so there was genetic variability in the seedlings that were produced. Also there were other seed collections knocking about, such as Empress. I have a grooved one wich is a clone of Dave's (coming from Carolpz (Penzance)) and that produces loads of pups, 30 sounds quite conservative. My smoother leaved form came from Kev Spence (Now of GOTE) and that hardly pups unless the roots are severed when digging. You take your chances really but the best way is to get a pup from someone who has a plant that doesn't pup, if you get my drift.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

the flatter leaved, more deeply lobed one has by far the biggest leaves and it was that one that the person on growing on the edge named as rex because of the much larger size of it.

now rex is the term for a hardy tetrapanax with leaves about 1m across

i suggest that the bigger,flatter more deeply lobed version should be given a different name, it is a different cultivar ,whether the world has cottoned on yet or not.