Mr List

musa winter protection

Post by Mr List »

if i get these

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation ... icamp=recs

and thread them together and wrap around the pstems like this
musa protection.jpg
do you think that would be good enough?

i want a simpler way to protect the growth on musas without needing to wrap and wrap and cut off all the leaves.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: musa winter protection

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

If you want something foamy , which is basically what the pipe insulation is, you'd probs be better off with closed cell foam sheet and wrap it around a couple of times. Can't see pipe insulation doing much tbh
pdid

Post by pdid »

It`s JULY :lol: :lol: :lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Butty H££l Summer hasn't started yet! However nothing like being prepared. :roll: As I use this on a regular bases if you want to use foam it would work well as long as you made sure there were no gaps between the lagging. Once tied on I would spray or paint it with silicone to keep the water out. icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I don't know how thick your musa are but try eBay under pipe lagging, Ryan Air Conditioning Spares have lagging up to 100mm or flat sheet you can wrap round your self. icon_thumright
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A single piece of good lagging is good enough for sikkis and basjoos, I get the big stuff from work and its fine.
Theres no advantage whatsoever trying to keep leaves on the plant while under winter protection, they would just get smashed straight away even if you did get them through.
Its so easy, cut the leaves off and slip a length of lagging over the stem and cover the top, job done.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If the winter is very cold then it wont protect them.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Adrian wrote:A single piece of good lagging is good enough for sikkis and basjoos, I get the big stuff from work and its fine.
Theres no advantage whatsoever trying to keep leaves on the plant while under winter protection, they would just get smashed straight away even if you did get them through.
Its so easy, cut the leaves off and slip a length of lagging over the stem and cover the top, job done.
At the risk of sounding dumb. What's lagging? Can you post a link to some so I can see what it is?

Cheers.
S
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Adrian wrote:A single piece of good lagging is good enough for sikkis and basjoos, I get the big stuff from work and its fine.

can you post a picture of the stuff you use?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

What a great idea icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

What exactly is this lagging? Is it cheap and reusable?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

the grey foam stuff that goes around pipes. The onlt thing is I aint sure what Diameters it goes upto.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
simon

Post by simon »

Lagging is just a trade term for insulation. pipe lagging, tank lagging etc. So called because it provides a 'lag' in the cooling of the pipe contents.

I don't know why you are worried about not cutting the leaves off because you shouldn't need to protect a basjoo stem until after the leaves have already been destroyed by a the first light frosts.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

The Codfather wrote:the grey foam stuff that goes around pipes. The onlt thing is I aint sure what Diameters it goes upto.
The largest I found was 100mm, but you can buy 500 mm sheets and roll it your self this will give you approximately 150mm. icon_thumright
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The stuff I get from work is the same as this.....

http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/Pipe ... tions-.htm