Cyathea Medularis Container Growing(Pictures Update)

Tom2006

Re: Cyathea Medularis Container Growing(Pictures Update)

Post by Tom2006 »

Looking very nice...lovely fronds!!...I wouldn't have even noticed the paint had you not said :wink:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looks very good. As an aside just been to amulree and they have 3 or 4 beauties left
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Mini update: The crozier has moved a few inches in this heat we are having :) . Kris how are your cyatheas?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

greendragon wrote:Mini update: The crozier has moved a few inches in this heat we are having :) . Kris how are your cyatheas?
Not seen them for a few months as they tucked up in a corner under lots of other things. The australis seems to be growing well.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The only house worry I'd have is if you put the fern inside in an unheated room will dry air damage the fronds? Will you be able to spray the leaves and not damage furnishings? (Have you got room when the leaves get even bigger? :ahhh!: )
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think the trick is just to move it under cover when a frost is forecast. Mine will be in my polyhouse. icon_thumleft
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

GREVILLE wrote:The only house worry I'd have is if you put the fern inside in an unheated room will dry air damage the fronds? Will you be able to spray the leaves and not damage furnishings? (Have you got room when the leaves get even bigger? :ahhh!: )
I am going to stand a humidifier right next to it. :)

There is a radiator in the room but it's usually turned down very low since hardly anyone uses the room, I may turn it up abit on the really cold nights just incase.

As I said once it fills this pot with roots I plan to put it into the ground outdoors and overwintere it with wrapping+heating cables which will save the fronds every year hopefully.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Tom2006 wrote:I think the trick is just to move it under cover when a frost is forecast. Mine will be in my polyhouse. icon_thumleft
That's what I'll be doing outside till frost is forecast then brought inside, back out when frost has past.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom2006 wrote:I think the trick is just to move it under cover when a frost is forecast. Mine will be in my polyhouse. icon_thumleft
Tom,
that'll probably be ok if its barely into the minus' . My larger cooperi browned in the greenhouse at -6.7 deg and the Medi is still to produce a single frond this year. My rule for cyathea's now is "strictly no minus figures'
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I forgot to say, I will have my parasene frost guard heater in the poly house like I did last winter with my cooperi and Dicksonia antarctica's. My only problem will be the size of the poly house required if/when my cooperi and Medularis grow!? :roll: :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom2006 wrote: My only problem will be the size of the poly house required if/when my cooperi and Medularis grow!? :roll: :lol:
10ft in all directions ...............minimum :lol:
pdid

Post by pdid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Tom2006 wrote: My only problem will be the size of the poly house required if/when my cooperi and Medularis grow!? :roll: :lol:
10ft in all directions ...............minimum :lol:
I'm going to loosly tie the fronds icon_thumright