Washingtonia robusta

Peter1946

Washingtonia robusta

Post by Peter1946 »

I have just purchased a group of four washies in a 5 lt pot they are about 3 ft high is it safe to split and replant them to go inside a cold frost free conservatory I have tried splitting but they seem very fast together !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Washingtonia robusta

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

You'll probably lose some of them if you split them. They don't really like it. It can be done but not really recommended.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I split a 4 uo and 1 survived.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

When you see those washies with 3 or 4 trunks in one pot, are they different plants crammed together, or do washies commonly throw up several trunks whilst actually being one plant? (I'm assuming the latter if they tend to die off when split)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

A few people have successfully divided them up, although I have not done it myself. How successful the division is, I think is largely down to how much care is taken untangling the roots, and repotting. The bigger they are the more difficult it will be.

Alternatively, cut the smaller palms out to leave just the strongest, which will then have an undisturbed root system. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kerinsian wrote:When you see those washies with 3 or 4 trunks in one pot, are they different plants crammed together, or do washies commonly throw up several trunks whilst actually being one plant? (I'm assuming the latter if they tend to die off when split)
Washingtonia is single trunked, and the plants are a group of seedlings in a single pot :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dino »

I divided 4 three years ago, all still alive. Just start by hosing off all soil/ compost so you can clearly see the roots. It makes it so much easier then to seperate.
Peter1946

Post by Peter1946 »

How big a pot does one need for a 3 ft high Washingtonia also should i buy a Cycas revoluta from Gardenbargian , com it seems the larger one are quite good value
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Dave Brown wrote: Washingtonia is single trunked, and the plants are a group of seedlings in a single pot :wink:
Thanks Dave, I thought I'd read somewhere it was single trunked, but then having had some doubles of other types of palm arrive from both ebay and redsquirrel got a wee bit confused. :wink:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Kerinsian wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: Washingtonia is single trunked, and the plants are a group of seedlings in a single pot :wink:
Thanks Dave, I thought I'd read somewhere it was single trunked, but then having had some doubles of other types of palm arrive from both ebay and redsquirrel got a wee bit confused. :wink:
Butias often send up more than one shoot, especialy if they are from Red. icon_thumright :wink:
jezza

Post by jezza »

Done this with two triples and only lost one from each. Far easier to do it now while they're small as larger ones with more roots are a bit of a pig to do.
Peter1946

Post by Peter1946 »

How big a pot should I have for 3 18" washingtonias to live to a reasonable height . or would they be better split
Peter
Peter1946

Post by Peter1946 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:You'll probably lose some of them if you split them. They don't really like it. It can be done but not really recommended.
How big a pot would you think 3 washies would need ? I dont know if its worth splitting as i am new to all this
by the way love the pictures of your garden magnificent
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Peter1946 wrote: How big a pot would you think 3 washies would need ? I dont know if its worth splitting as i am new to all this
I wouldn't go too big all in one go. I'd go for a 10 litre to start, and see how it goes, however I tend to keep things in smaller pots than others would, so they may disagree :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Peter1946 wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:You'll probably lose some of them if you split them. They don't really like it. It can be done but not really recommended.
How big a pot would you think 3 washies would need ? I dont know if its worth splitting as i am new to all this
by the way love the pictures of your garden magnificent

I would keep them all together and buy a new single trunker if thats the look you want to go for. (It's not as easy as seperating herbacious perenials to make new plants)

Pot size? What is it in now? I wouldn't go huge, but pot it up in stages.