Unknown Palm Tree..... Cordyline australis

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Unknown Palm Tree..... Cordyline australis

Post by Dave Brown »

greendragon wrote:
genetics must play quite a part, ones from South Island stock probably have more resistant trunks.
Think it is more like -9C in one place and 20 feet away got to -10C. Where I am 50% were killed but go 1/2 mile further inland and appears none survived.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kerinsian »

Mr List wrote:did you dig out the roots or has she resprouted ?
Was that to me Mr List?

If so, it did try to sprout which I was well pleased about, but when I touched the new growth it literally fell to bits, all the separate leaves fell off the sprout and there was mush where roots should have been. I didn't bother digging them out, nothing has come back since so it's obviously dead and gone. I've since planted something else there and there was no sign of any root left, it just composted down.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

sad story bud i was hoping to hear cassie was making a comeback as they are supposed to grow fast with big root systems
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Mr List wrote:sad story bud i was hoping to hear cassie was making a comeback as they are supposed to grow fast with big root systems
This also appears to be a myth, mine are growing back, but no quicker than normal. The variegated forms seem to be even slower.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

The thing is with mine is that it went in as a truly tiny (1ft max) double trunker that I found discarded and almost dead, it had been a badly neglected and desicated little thing in a tiny pot. Over the next three years it got bigger and bigger till it hit 5ft from soil and was considerably bushier which gave me hope it might go on to even better things. then came "those" winters :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:sad story bud i was hoping to hear cassie was making a comeback as they are supposed to grow fast with big root systems
I thought I replied to this the other day, must have forgotten to hit submit.

The roots were dug out as it was inbetween 2 parking spaces, the garden having changed beyond all recognition form the time she was planted in 1992, but the trunk was laid on the ground between the Eucalypts and that has sprouted, so she still lives :D
Attachments
2012-09-04-19-11-36 Cassis Cordy lives.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

are you just leaving it to nature or given any care? (winter)