Best behaving bamboo.

karl66

Best behaving bamboo.

Post by karl66 »

What planted out bamboo's are you most pleased with?, there will be variations in dfferent parts of the country, despite culm height & thickness my phllostachy Aurea's are all growing in nice tight cane's, nigra is also well behaved but it is mostly in semi shade!, my phyll aurea-sulcata is a strange one as the new culm's are horizontal & raise themselves a few inches before nosediving back into the soil so i think despite what some say this may go walkies sooner than later!, one that has suprised me is yashadakkie kimmie as although the canes are thin & innocent looking a lot of new canes are appearing 8/10 inches from from origonal grove. karl.
simon

Re: Best behaving bamboo.

Post by simon »

karl66 wrote:my phyll aurea-sulcata is a strange one as the new culm's are horizontal & raise themselves a few inches before nosediving back into the soil so i think despite what some say this may go walkies sooner than later!,
They are not culms, they are rhizomes. They are sometimes refered to as Dolphins when they do this. aureosulcata has a more open habit than nigra or aurea so it will expand sooner but they will all go walkies after a few years.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not had any that do not go delinquent after a few years. P nigra up to 10 years, but then the world domination gene kicks in :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok, is it ok to lift the horizontal rhizomes & tie them to the existing culm's?, otherwise they will be nosediving under next doors fence :) . karl.
simon

Post by simon »

Just cut them off.They are no good above ground. If it is already making a break next door and you have no rhizome barrier installed then you will need to go along the fence line with a sharp spade early autumn each year if you want to stay on good terms with your neighbour.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

you can be legally responsible for the bamboo going onto your neighbours property
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:you can be legally responsible for the bamboo going onto your neighbours property
Never heard that before, where has that info come from :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

i'm sure it was on that garden law forum somebody linked to in the past, dont have the link anymore.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I recently reassured my neighbour that I had installed a serious root barrier so my sassa japonica wouldn't go into her garden. She seemed a little upset that it wouldn't spread into hers until I told her why I had done it :lol: