Twin trunked Trachycarpus,but one dead trunk?

bordersboy

Twin trunked Trachycarpus,but one dead trunk?

Post by bordersboy »

Early in the year the last green leaf on one of the trunks died off and nothing has grown back. The other trunk is all good.They took a battering in the -23c winter and the next -18 one too but were recovering but one has gone down.

So my Q is should i leave the bare trunk till next spring just in case it rises from the dead or is it safe/best to cut it away leaving one trunk just like a normal palm? Thanks for any suggestions.
Tom2006

Re: Twin trunked Trachycarpus,but one dead trunk?

Post by Tom2006 »

It is probably dead unfortunately. You have done well to have any palm after -23!! :shock: :shock: icon_thumleft

Is the probable dead trunk rotting? I would be tempted to cut it back a few inches just to make sure it isn't. IF it is alive in there is will come back, even with a cut like that.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

That must be one of the lowest recorded temperatures survived by a palm anywhere!

Ditto to Tom on cutting back a short way to look for signs of life; if none, then cut the second stem out completely.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Thanks for the replies guys.I couldnt find my thread :oops:
Only survived the temp as they were wrapped in thick loft insulation and the leaves wrapped in fleece. Will try a cut back next spring but it does look like its gone to stay with baby jesus :cry: