Anyone growing Gledistia?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Anyone growing Gledistia?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Saw a very attractive plant at local gc for about 8 pounds Lovely leaves but I think it grows into a large tree. Anyone grow it and can it be treated to grow huge leaves?
Conifers

Re: Anyone growing Gledistia?

Post by Conifers »

Not grown it, but know it well. Yep, it's a medium-sized to large tree, up to around 15m tall or a bit more in Britain (20-25m in climates with hot summers).

The leaves are either pinnate or bipinnate; when bipinnate, the leaflets are very small. So you don't get the effect of large leaves.

The thorns can be fun, unless you get a thornless cultivar like 'Inermis'. Huge big branched spines up to 15cm long, often in dense clusters on the trunk.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Yes, Kris. I grow the variety 'sunburst'. I took it from a property that was about to be bulldozed for development nearly twenty years ago. It had been in the ground nearly seven years and it was early autumn. These don't transplant well and I got away with murder for it took beautifully.

I don't think pollarding a mature plant will necessarily produce larger leaves as in Paulownia.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I have grown `Sunburst` in the past, lovely small tree. I don't know if you can stool it though. icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Thanks for the feedback guys. As it's a proper tree then I won't be buying one yet but in the future I will as the foliage is very attractive
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I love the perfume of the honey locust, reminds me of warm spring evenings :DD