Grow Light for Tree Ferns/Canna/Colocasia?

Kristen

Re: Grow Light for Tree Ferns/Canna/Colocasia?

Post by Kristen »

Kristen wrote:
greendragon wrote:I would just turn it on at 8am and turn it off at 8pm
I run mine during the night, for Economy-7 electricity like Dave, but any time period would do. If it makes no odds to you personally then overnight would probably?? be better to use up spare capacity on the grid.
Actually, Metal Halide will generate considerable waste heat, so you may be better to run it at night for that extra benefit. In late Winter I put my lamp in a "blow away", which I put inside my conservatory, and the lamp provides enough heat to keep the tunnel at 10C on cold nights.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Greendragon. I tried that misting lark on my Dicksonia antarctica when I had them inside till I could plant them. It was a nightmare. Misting at least 3 times a day. You would be better off taking it outside hosing it. Once drips have stopped then bringing it indoors.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

sanatic1234 wrote:Greendragon. I tried that misting lark on my Dicksonia antarctica when I had them inside till I could plant them. It was a nightmare. Misting at least 3 times a day. You would be better off taking it outside hosing it. Once drips have stopped then bringing it indoors.
When you have a cyathea with a 20litre size rootball it takes alot of water through the soil so it's not like you have to drown the trunk as you do with a newly sawn off Dicksonia antarctica. The misting of the trunk and fronds is just to keep them moist and keep the humidity up.