Any examples of exotic gardens on a N-facing slope?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Any examples of exotic gardens on a N-facing slope?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adrian wrote:Surely the house comes before the garden, when we moved here some 16/17 years ago it was the house that was the priority, as long as there was a decent sized garden and wasnt over looked then we were happy.
Im more than happy to get sun in the morning in my front garden and bottom half of the back garden then afternoon sun in the house half of the back garden and on the deck, in fact its ideal.
Winter for me when the sun doesnt reach the back of the house really doesnt bother me, we dont sit out the back in winter so dont miss the sun, maybe if I was stuck in the house all day then I might feel different.
The only problem with my garden in winter is that a frost will sit there sometimes all day, sure there are plants that I cant winter outside because of it but I garden accordingly.
Most people with South facing gardens look to get some shade in Summer any way :lol:
I have different seating areas in my garden so at all times in Spring, Summer and the nicer bits of Autumn I can sit in sun or shade, as said in Winter I dont want to sit outside anyway.
Sure we all want something different but personally I certainly wouldnt discount a nice house because the garden faced the wrong way.

For us the garden is the no1 priority along with location. The house can always be altered, the plot can not.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I lived in a house that was shaded by a steep hill for most of my life. I now have a south facing rear garden the difference is phenomenal. Much more pleasant to live in and the house is much warmer as well. The garden seems to be a big part of your life, my advice why put up for second best weight for the right house if you intend to spend any length of time there. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

In mid winter (Dec/Jan) the temp in the sun at lunchtime, in still air, is around 35C. As my back garden is south facing, in still air conditions, I can sit outside in air temps as low as 6C icon_thumright I wouldn't do that in the front now, although in my previous house, which was east back, front west, we had to in the afternoon/evening. I had BBQs under the front porch :lol:
Attachments
1983 Thistledown 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

jungle jas wrote:I lived in a house that was shaded by a steep hill for most of my life. I now have a south facing rear garden the difference is phenomenal. Much more pleasant to live in and the house is much warmer as well. The garden seems to be a big part of your life, my advice why put up for second best weight for the right house if you intend to spend any length of time there. icon_thumright
Agree.

Must have been a big hill jas, most people only get shaded for most of winter.... :oops: sorry couldn't resist :oops:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:Agree.
Me too.

Big savings, long term, to be made from the heating effect of the solar gain from South-facing in Winter.

Conservatory warmer (without heating) than standalone greenhouse; but North facing would be less effective.

Hugely more cheerful IME - first house I lived in, after leaving home, was called "East View" and had no Southerly aspect (terraced to the South). It was permanently chilly.

Have a viewing of a house on the other side of the street on a sunny day and see if you notice any difference - if none for sale just bang on someones door and tell them you are thinking of moving into the area but not sure which side of the street to buy :)
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

jungle jas wrote:I lived in a house that was shaded by a steep hill for most of my life. I now have a south facing rear garden the difference is phenomenal. Much more pleasant to live in and the house is much warmer as well. The garden seems to be a big part of your life, my advice why put up for second best weight for the right house if you intend to spend any length of time there. icon_thumright

Absolutely agree, the plot, aspect and location are fixed, the house can be extended or remodelled.

icon_thumright
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

move down south, nice and warm down here 8)
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

fieldfest wrote:move down south, nice and warm down here 8)
Would love to be almost anywhere on the south coast, will get there one day!

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fieldfest wrote:move down south, nice and warm down here 8)
Nah, don't think I'll ever leave Yorkshire.
If I did I would head for Dorset.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Move to Southampton? :D

Lots of interesting countryside,good beaches nearby,normally mild winters,and nearly 1.800 hours of sun a year. icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny

Plus a lot of exotics that don,t need wrapping in the winter. icon_cheers

House prices are still very reasonable here at the moment and we have some lovely parks and other open spaces for children to enjoy.

It has to be good because i'm still here :ahhh!:

billdango 8)
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

billdango wrote:Move to Southampton? :D

Lots of interesting countryside,good beaches nearby,normally mild winters,and nearly 1.800 hours of sun a year. icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny

Plus a lot of exotics that don,t need wrapping in the winter. icon_cheers

House prices are still very reasonable here at the moment and we have some lovely parks and other open spaces for children to enjoy.

It has to be good because i'm still here :ahhh!:

billdango 8)

I'm sure it is. :) I've been to most places in the UK apart from the South East and Southampton. I will do one day I'm sure.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Dave Brown wrote:
Agree.

Must have been a big hill jas, most people only get shaded for most of winter.... :oops: sorry couldn't resist :oops:
:lol: :roll: Dave it wasn't particularly high but very steep, hands and feet job to climb it. Cut out all the sun for the first part of the morning and latter half of the afternoon. The bricklayer who built it said it was the coldest house he had ever built! He built it in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_thumright
Last edited by jungle jas on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

]Don't have too many pics that show why my NW facing aspect works for me but standing at the SW/NW corner of the house this view into the bottom end of the back garden taken in early April shows how the low wall and the predominately deciduous shrubs allow plenty of sun to light up the back end of the garden.

[attachment=0]GrevPlants 2012 067.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
GrevPlants 2012 067.JPG
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: I've been to most places in the UK apart from the South East and Southampton. I will do one day I'm sure.
defo worth going to ventnor BC if you pop down mid-late summer. they had 20+ 8ft maurelii's in a row this year which looked cool
the biggest t-rex clump you will ever see, massive arid area plus of course claimed oldest palms in the UK, huge cycads, massive c.indivisa's blah blah no i dont work for the tourist board
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fieldfest wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote: I've been to most places in the UK apart from the South East and Southampton. I will do one day I'm sure.
defo worth going to ventnor BC if you pop down mid-late summer. they had 20+ 8ft maurelii's in a row this year which looked cool
the biggest t-rex clump you will ever see, massive arid area plus of course claimed oldest palms in the UK, huge cycads, massive c.indivisa's blah blah no i dont work for the tourist board

OFF TOPIC but I will make a special effort one May to go to IOW to see the rare Glanville Butterfly which can be found nowhere else in the UK*