What do you use to stop 'damping off'

Dave Brown
Site Admin

What do you use to stop 'damping off'

Post by Dave Brown »

I have used Cheshunt Compound, but now believe it is banned by the EU as it kills fungus :roll: Has anyone found a suitable substitute ?

I'm down to my last tin now
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: What do you use to stop 'damping off'

Post by Kristen »

Could you make your own Dave? I think the "recipe" is readily available.

Don't think it has been banned? but rather no company is wanting to pay for it to be licensed under the revised laws, as they would not have a monopoly to sell it (i.e. no patent protection available as it is not "novel"), and thus it can no longer be sold.

But I may be completely wrong on that.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kristen wrote:
Don't think it has been banned? but rather no company is wanting to pay for it to be licensed under the revised laws, as they would not have a monopoly to sell it (i.e. no patent protection available as it is not "novel"), and thus it can no longer be sold.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, the bureaucracy of the EU.

As Oliver said to Stan "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I believe the RHS suggest stricter hygeine to prevent dampening off. Using sterilised soil, clean pots and cooled boiled water.
kata

Post by kata »

See here Dave,

Interesting, same as I used to when I did do seeds is the 'misting method' rather than direct watering as we do with mature plants.

Electric fan; not so sure on safety but its E-how so see what you think.

Watering underneath is best...when the soil/compost seperates from the pot then its time to water again.

http://www.ehow.com/how_9361_prevent-Dicksonia antarctica ... lings.html

Good luck!
:mrgreen:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I believe the RHS suggest stricter hygeine to prevent dampening off. Using sterilised soil, clean pots and cooled boiled water.
No such thing as sterile in this weather when the garden is filled with Botrytis. Every time you open the door spores will blow in. Compost direct from the bag has mould on it within a few days. Also plants that require high humidity, can't be ventilated to the point that Botrytis won't grow, and when Botrytis don't, the plants don't :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Kristen wrote:Could you make your own Dave? I think the "recipe" is readily available.

copper sulphate is readily available with baking soda substituting Ammonium Carbonate which i thought was baking powder??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

I thought Baking soda was Sodium bi carb?

If you can get your hands on it "Roval" is a very good fungicide for Botrytis not sure about damping off, I tend to germinate most things in the mist unit these days and for some reason I don't get Botrytis or damping of in there!
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

There is a fungicide called dithane 945 replacement - fruit and vegetable disease control that is a general fungicide and treats damping off as well as other things but it comes in 6 sachets and each sachet only makes 3 litres and at about £9.50 a packet works out expensive. When my tin and a half of chestnut compound runs out I intend to buy some copper sulphate and some ammonium carbonate off ebay and mix my own at a rate of 60gm of copper.s to 330gm of ammonium.c then store dry till I need to use. It is mixed at a rate of 5gm to 1.6 litres of water or 25gm to 8 litres. It works out a lot cheaper and is just the same as what used to be sold.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Can it really be stopped though? Its a plants natural way of getting rid of excess water. I would simply turn on a fan or open a window for air movement. A cool fan should to the trick.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:Can it really be stopped though? Its a plants natural way of getting rid of excess water. I would simply turn on a fan or open a window for air movement. A cool fan should to the trick.
Aaron, 'damping off' is the common name for fungal attacks on young seedlings or plants, mainly Botrytis, and is nothing to do with 'guttation' where plants exude water. Admittedly a fan can stop the stagnant air that which these fungi thrive best in, but a fungicide is another weapon in the armoury.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Oh must apologise me getting mixed up. I was getting it mixed up with where guttation rots the growth points on seedlings then causing the plant to die. Oops.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've had slugs, or snails, "mow" my seedlings in the past too.

I stand the feet of the staging in upturned jar lids now, and put slug pellets in the lids.

Folk that grow Peas [being germinated in guttering to then "slide" into shallow trenches when planting] have flat plates half way up the staging legs to stop mice getting up to the peas ...
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I can't see it being an arrestable crime to keep using Cheshunt Compound. A local garden centre had it for sale on their shelves well into 2012 but there has long been some scepticism around regarding Cheshunt Compound and whether is might adversely affect germination. I think I may have killed seed before now with a slightly strong dose and/or by using really old Cheshunt Compound. This is the product I will eventually try instead but I will keep trying without for the time being:

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Pr ... ntrol.aspx

I must admit I am a bit lazy when it comes to sterilising pots and compost etc but when I sow agaves and cacti I use the "baggy" method. The seed is sown in pots and sealed in a clear poly bag until strong seedlings have grown. This a perfect environment for algae and botrytis so sterilisation is critical. sturdy re-usable pots can be microwaved in water or have boiling water poured over them. Once mixed a large bowl of sowing compost can be sprayed with water and then microwaved for as long as 10 mins. Even this doesn't stop pathogens being introduced on the seeds themselves...