Can I buy a Fatsia polycarpa?

rburrena

Can I buy a Fatsia polycarpa?

Post by rburrena »

I had some seelings but they withered away and died :(

Not sure why... I watered them too much? Not enough light?

Anyway, I want one. I can't find any to buy anywhere :(
pdid

Re: Can I buy a Fatsia polycarpa?

Post by pdid »

I got mine from this seller on ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/2001maizy&ssP ... 1543.l2533

She did work at Lower Kennergy in Cornwall and the owner allowed her to sell some plants via ebay. It may be worth sending her a pm to see if she could get you one. Expect to pay around £25 posted.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

pdid wrote:I got mine from this seller on ebay:

She did work at Lower Kennergy in Cornwall and the owner allowed her to sell some plants via ebay. It may be worth sending her a pm to see if she could get you one. Expect to pay around £25 posted.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go. How long ago did you get yours is it doing well?
pdid

Post by pdid »

rburrena wrote:
pdid wrote:I got mine from this seller on ebay:

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go. How long ago did you get yours is it doing well?
Do you know i'm not entirely sure, there was a long thread on here at the time. It was either last Spring or the one before. It's still alive and is living outside this Winter icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You got yours same time as I got mine Phil, the spring of 2011.

I overwintered mine indoors that year and lost one, possibly both die to them not getting water from the capillery matting because it had folded up.

If I have one left it's the one that comes through the temple window to the side but nobody seems to know for sure what that is.

There usually are a couple of sellers that pop up on ebay with them around March/April/May. There are also a few Moseri kicking around at that time too.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Its very interesting that prior to December '10 Crug had them coming out of their posteriors. My last visit there a few years ago they were growing in his private garden like weeds and now ?? Are they hardier than common Japonica. I don't think so.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Andy Martin wrote:Its very interesting that prior to December '10 Crug had them coming out of their posteriors. My last visit there a few years ago they were growing in his private garden like weeds and now ?? Are they hardier than common Japonica. I don't think so.
Fatsia Polycarpa may not be as hardy as fatsia japonica but I don't think its much behind it. A nursery near me has a polycarpa originally from Crug that is planted in there garden which see temps of -16 in 2010 they lost many Dicksonia antarctica tree ferns and palms but the polycarpa was fine. I also have a gardening friend in Leicester who has a mature polycarpa from Crug planted in his garden about 8 years ago he had temps of around -16 aswell and his plant was fine also.
I think the trouble with polycarpas being rarer is they don't seem to take from cuttings (If someone has done it i would like to know how)so are grown from seed which is a slow progress and due to our early frosts most years the flowers are destroyed so no seeds.Then if they do get to berries the birds then like to strip the plant so need to be netted.
I have quite a lot of small polycarpa seedlings and they are more fussy than japonica seedlings to wet and they easy rot to dry and they wither away.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:You got yours same time as I got mine Phil, the spring of 2011.
I got mine in SUmmer 2012 from someone who sold by side-door from a nursery in Cornwall; probably the same outlet as you guys, but I don't have the details to hand.

It looks fine, although it is in a pot and frost-free conservatory this first winter.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I know Kyle has some seeds that he was doing well with germinating last summer. In fact, quite a few of us bought them.

I got bored with waiting for mine to germinate in the prop so stuck them outside. I had a couple germinate within a week so I ended up just throwing them into various locations around the garden.

It will be interesting to see what happened to them, if anything, come spring.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Instead of waiting for seeds to germinate here http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fatsia-polycarpa-1-p ... 337dedfbed you can buy young and adult plants. And cheap postage for a young one :wink:
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

brendan wrote:I have quite a lot of small polycarpa seedlings and they are more fussy than japonica seedlings to wet and they easy rot to dry and they wither away.
Yes, I think some of my seedlings withered from lack of water and so I overcompensated so the remaining seedlings were too wet and rotted. :( God, I am useless, lol
countrylover wrote:Instead of waiting for seeds to germinate here http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fatsia-polycarpa-1-p ... 337dedfbed you can buy young and adult plants. And cheap postage for a young one :wink:
Ah! Perfect, just what I was looking for thanks. :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

countrylover wrote:Instead of waiting for seeds to germinate here http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fatsia-polycarpa-1-p ... 337dedfbed you can buy young and adult plants. And cheap postage for a young one :wink:
Are you sure that's a Polycarpa...? icon_scratch
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Simba wrote:Are you sure that's a Polycarpa...? icon_scratch
I hope so 'coz that's what my seedling looks like :). Mind you, could be a Silver Birch seed that has crept in, the greenhouse always gets some of them :(

There was a thread earlier about growing Polycarpa from seed, I wonder what anyone else's seedlings look like?

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=16607
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Simba wrote:Are you sure that's a Polycarpa...? icon_scratch
Yeah - I've seen this seller's listings on eBay before and I'm not convinced it's a thoroughbred F. polycarpa either. I don't know enough about the plant to say for sure but I know that there is a form called Edward Needham which is much more attractive. The one pictured on the eBay listing doesn't look that different to standard F. japonica??
brendan

Post by brendan »

Looks the same as my polycarpa seedlings.If i knew i could sell them for that money i would have sown more.That is a lot of money for a seedling and hes got to send it from france so I hope its packaged well. Kristen have yours started to show split leaves yet ?