gunnera idea

Mr List

Re: gunnera idea

Post by Mr List »

that is the kind of effect I want to avoid.
a big clump of small plants.

I am hoping to get really tall plants.
much experimentation is required here .
Barry

Post by Barry »

flounder wrote:Give them a free root run and plenty of moisture and you'll see how big the leaves get. most potted plants will be smaller

Bit like this;

Taken last Saturday at Canizares Park in that Lahnden,apparently the area they are in floods regularly so the clump just gets bigger.Don't know if it's an original clump or not but it is a Victorian park/garden;it's a bit sad really as it could be a great traditional garden but it's obviously lacked some tlc over the years.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:that is the kind of effect I want to avoid.
a big clump of small plants.

I am hoping to get really tall plants.
much experimentation is required here .
It's not really suited to an average sized garden if kept wet. Just 2 or 3 leaves will cover a diameter of 4 to 5m (12 to 15 ft) Not much grows underneath, and you really wouldn't want to push past, or through the leaves. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vagetarian »

I'll chime in with my opinion and say I don't think a submerged bucket is going to do much and that putting perlite in the water, if you can keep it in the bucket, won't really stop it from stagnating. Although, it being a swampy plant, its roots probably don't need much oxygen.

I would have thought that you would be better off amending the soil to increase water capacity.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Water retaining gel ?
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Kristen wrote:Water retaining gel ?
Avoid at all costs!

The gels clearly work at first but they break down within a few years which not only stops them from working, but also releases acrylamide, a carcinogen and dangerous neurotoxin. There are safer gels, but they break down even quicker.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Vagetarian wrote:also releases acrylamide, a carcinogen and dangerous neurotoxin.
Yeah, I've read that (in particular the strongly-put views of Linda Chalker-Scott PhD). I don't use it in my pots and tubs any more because there is a chance that the compost then gets chucked onto compost heap and from there onto veg patch ... but for permanently planted ornamentals I don't have the same qualms ... ditto for using foam-backed carpet as a mulch and similar
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Kristen wrote:Yeah, I've read that (in particular the strongly-put views of Linda Chalker-Scott PhD).
Hah, yeah, I'm a bit off-put by some of her articles. For example, her article on bonemeal is all about over application of phosphorous in general but seems to be written as a direct attack on bonemeal itself, which is good stuff in moderation, like everything,

Back on topic(ish): I understand your lack of qualms with hydro-gels on landscape plants in your massive garden, but even still, the stuff only works for a few years, whereas soil improver would remain for ages.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

ive got one of these on order from amulree, i have it planned for a very wet clay area near hy house near a rubbish soakaway. my plan is pretty much to do what you pictured mr list but have holes in the bucket (sunken wheelie bin with the top cut off) and fill it with gravel/free draining soil so it will act as a sump for the surrounding area but will not stagnate due to the holes
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

The only thing that is worrying is that the growth heads on these things grow/multiply quite quickly once they get going, and in a few short years will cover quite an area. I've got mine growing in an area of probably 6 ft x 3 ft and have to hack away at the heads to keep it within it's boundaries, or some years let the frost kill some heads. The one in the pic is about shoulder height, not huge, but sometimes the leaves lean over and cross the other side of the pond, so covers quite a big area - imagine what size everyones will be if grown to the optimum. :shock:

As I said before, I'm not even sure whether mine in a tinctoria (the smaller one) or not :?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

DiCasS wrote:The only thing that is worrying is that the growth heads on these things grow/multiply quite quickly once they get going, and in a few short years will cover quite an area. I've got mine growing in an area of probably 6 ft x 3 ft and have to hack away at the heads to keep it within it's boundaries, or some years let the frost kill some heads. The one in the pic is about shoulder height, not huge, but sometimes the leaves lean over and cross the other side of the pond, so covers quite a big area - imagine what size everyones will be if grown to the optimum. :shock:

As I said before, I'm not even sure whether mine in a tinctoria (the smaller one) or not :?

Di

hi,

you'll know from the leaves if its tinctoria-the leaves are smoother not a rough as manicata and of course the size it reaches will give the biggest clue.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Easier to ID from the flower.............
Gunnera_flowers.jpg
Gunnera_flowers.jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
manicata.jpg
manicata.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
tinctoria.jpg
tinctoria.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks WP and Arlon.

I'm really confused now, the leaves are really rough on mine so suggests its a manicata, but the flower heads look like a tinctoria :lol: It's crazy, I have no idea.
Picture 3127 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i'd be surprised if they don't hybridise easily also.

I have put a thick layer of pure manure at the bottom of the pot , this seems to really clamp onto moisture.
I am going to see how it grows in this pot for the next year/two years then decide on how to site it permanently in a larger pot/planter.

atm I am thinking something like this
planter.jpg

a wooden planter with a built in drip tray filled with gravel so roots can get down to moisture but the soil/compost won't be sitting in still water.
also a thick layer of manure to separate the gravel from the planting mix, if it seems to work in the pot atm.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine is still in its pot not sure now if im going to plant it out.
It was a tiddler last year cost about £3, this year it has chucked out about 4 big leaves and is getting taller by the day.
I planted it in homebase multipurpose and just keep it damp.

It's kept next to my greenhouse door and it just loves clinging to my leg when i walk past in my shorts :lol:

If it gets too big (which i think it will) i will give it to my uncle to plant out next to some fishing lakes he helps to look after.