puerto de la cruz.

karl66

puerto de la cruz.

Post by karl66 »

Having been going to the south of tenerife for over 25 years we thought we would give the north of the island a visit, we understand the temp's are lower but were staying 300 metres from the botanical gardens & i imagine the exotic plants will be somewhat different!, anyone on here been to this area & have any views?. karl.
charliepridham

Re: puerto de la cruz.

Post by charliepridham »

Just got back, wonderful place, fantastic plants and the walking in the hills above was like being in a garden. Day time weather was shorts and tshirt mid 20's c, nights you needed a light weight jumper 16c ish

Just hope you are not staying where we stayed!

Buses for getting about were good and cheap (Buy a Bono ticket, each time you use it money is taken off, but its easier than having the right money for the bus and 30% cheaper than paying on board)

Some pictures
This and the next was the view from our room when we woke up the first morning! Mind you the view was probably the best thing about the place :lol:
021 by charliepridham, on Flickr You seldom see Solandra looking this good
020 by charliepridham, on Flickr
A quick explore of Puerto next the pedestrianized bits were well planted up
053 by charliepridham, on Flickr
052 by charliepridham, on Flickr
051 by charliepridham, on Flickr
048 by charliepridham, on Flickr
047 by charliepridham, on Flickr
032 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Anyone know the shrub below? very scented flowers
031 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Stunning Aloes through out
030 by charliepridham, on Flickr
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Charlie, many thanks for the great pic's !, we are staying in the Riu Garoe hotel but not until march 2014!!, its on we have booked well in advance. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

nice pics charlie! love the red hot pokers! and that Bismarkia!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Came back from there on Tuesday. I can recommend the place. It can be a couple of degrees cooler than the south with a little more cloud depending on the time of year you intend to go. More civilized than the south. The following gardens around the town are well worth a visit, Jarden Botanico, Jardin de Orquideas, Jardines Acuatico, Jardines Taoro and Playa Jardin. You should be able to fill your suitcase with seeds and plants if that's your type of thing. Look out for the huge Jubaea in the Jarden Botanico %0-60 ft high :D icon_thumright .

EDIT If you take a bus or taxi to the capital Santa Cruz they have the biggest collection of palm in the world. 450 different palms!!!!!! Unfortunately I did not find out about the garden until after I had visited the capital and missed it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Never mind there's always next year. icon_thumright
Last edited by jungle jas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

cordyman wrote:nice pics charlie! love the red hot pokers! and that Bismarkia!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I think you will find they are Aloe. icon_thumright