Nandia domestica (heavenly bamboo).

karl66

Nandia domestica (heavenly bamboo).

Post by karl66 »

Are many others growing this lovely little shrub?, i bought a 10 litre on last year & it really lights the garden up with it's beautiful colour's, i popped into B&Q this afternoon for some soil & they had some almost 3 times this size for £24.99p, thats a great price for them!!, as dave said with his lemon tree, this also followed me home :lol: . karl.
ourarka

Re: Nandia domestica (heavenly bamboo).

Post by ourarka »

Yes, I have one of these and to be honest I haven't noticed it much so far .... until the last 6 months when it has really come in to its own. I like the fact that it is a 'medium' size and fills a great spot in the middle of the border. It has also provided some much needed colour and vegetation through the winter. I would certainly get another.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Karl it's one of the first plants that I planted when I moved here. To be honest, with all the exciting and different plants I try and grow here it tends to be a bit boring and I don't really look at it that much! I loved it when I saw it at the garden centre but it hasn't really showed those beautiful foliage colours here. I can certainly see the attraction with them though! icon_salut
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Given mine a challenging place underneath my old multitrunked Cordyline. It's been there nearly ten years and seems to cope with the matt of roots. It looks in reasonable health despite very slow growth.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I have the small one Fire Power, Mine doesn't colour up much I find it as dull as dishwater. Perhaps I have a duff one. icon_thumbdown
flounder

Post by flounder »

Bought one at Wimbourne market couple of years ago, cost me a quid. Its an ok plant, a little bit of colour but still smallish. Certainly not a show stopper maybe just a gap filler
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I planted one in my garden about 2 years ago. I thought at the time that it was the full blown version but i`m thinking now that it`s a firepower as it`s still only about 10 inches high. I was only looking at it the other day and thinking how bright it looks. Some of the leaves are a really bright, vivid red colour. Wouldn`t mind a few more of them to be honest.
call

Post by call »

i have teo of these one is a normal nandina domestica and the other is nandina domestica "nana purpurea" the nana is very old and has been moved around the garden several times and the normal domestica is in a sheltered place by the laurus
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

I also have a couple of these in a Japanese garden - the thread leaf form is a particular favourite. It looks like a strap leaf acer, only evergreen.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I've planted one of these a few years ago, but I think it gets too much shade, as it has not grown much

I prefer Pieris forest flame (which also grows slow and which is also evergreen):

or the Pieris flaming silver:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dim, i'm also a big fan of all pieris!!, i have several variaties & there almost bullet proof in my garden. karl.
Dim

Post by Dim »

karl66 wrote:Dim, i'm also a big fan of all pieris!!, i have several variaties & there almost bullet proof in my garden. karl.
I'm thinking of planting 7 Pieris forest flame between rose bushes (Gertrude Jekyll) at a pub that I started landscaping last year, but I'm in 2 minds as I might opt for Daphne Odora (I started off with the intention of creating a fragrant garden, hence the Gertrude Jekyll roses which are highly fragrant) ....

I'm just a bit doubtfull of the hardiness of the Daphne, but I would prefer to plant a small shrub that is evergreen and that is highly fragrant (The Daphne will give good scent in late winter/spring, then the roses will be in bloom after that and continue to supply fragrance for a long while, as they are repeat flowering (up to 3 times a year)

If I don't plant the Daphne, I will plant Pieris for the evergreen leaves and red colour in spring (Nandia Domestica was also on my shortlist)