Cythea medularis tree fern.

Tom2006

Re: Cythea medularis tree fern.

Post by Tom2006 »

countrylover wrote:A nice blog here http://tropicalgardener.blogspot.de/200 ... laris.html
Thanks for the link. I only cut the fronds off when they are almost entirely brown and dried up. How can this affect the fern as the frond is dead anyway so there is no transportation system in place to make use of any energy in the dead frond? icon_scratch
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Cutting dead ones is ok. I bet Rob meant green ones
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:It will make them smaller croziers if the C Medullaris keeps getting shocked.
:shock: ...will it, why is this?...I haven't read or heard about that before. Thanks
I have found with cooperi and Medullaris that when you shock them they seem to respond by making smaller croziers.
When my Medullaris had its fronds pinnate scortched and I chopped them off because they looked untidy it responded a flush later by having smaller croziers in the crown. I have never came across it in a book but from trial and error which I wish I had not made I have learned that they are quite tempremental to shock that would not effect other plants in the same way. Think they respond a little like bonsai trees, as Dicksonia antarctica have smaller croziers until they get over the shock of having the roots and fronds cut off until they re establish.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:
countrylover wrote:A nice blog here http://tropicalgardener.blogspot.de/200 ... laris.html
Thanks for the link. I only cut the fronds off when they are almost entirely brown and dried up. How can this affect the fern as the frond is dead anyway so there is no transportation system in place to make use of any energy in the dead frond? icon_scratch
Sorry what I meant was that scortched pinnate does not mean the rest of the main support of the frond is dead. No I cut the old dead and no life left in them fronds off.
Sorry about that.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Really good wright up on C Medullaris. My new 3ft Medullaris should arrive next week icon_cheers .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I understand now thanks. I bet you are like a kid on xmas eve waiting for that beast to arrive!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Pity I have no more room for tree ferns neither more plants but I found 8 baby ferns under the big one. And today I finally got my so wanted xanthosoma lime zinger but that's another story...
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Can not wait for the C Medullaris arrival, still contemplating wether to get a small C Smithii as well.