Cythea medularis tree fern.

karl66

Cythea medularis tree fern.

Post by karl66 »

I quite fancy a decent size example to go in my fernery section, anyone know where to locate them at decent money?, vale exotics are only showing smaller ones for sale. karl.
Springy

Re: Cythea medularis tree fern.

Post by Springy »

What would you call a decent size karl? I was at vales at the weekend and I'm sure they had some with about 3ft of trunk. I can't remember the prices but I fell in love with them on the spot! Definitely on my wish list for the future.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thank's springy, i would like at least 3ft of trunk if possible, did you notice how much they were?, the other concern for me is overwintering it as i dont have a greenhouse!, i will probably have to look at keeping it in a pot & bringing into my kitchen/ diner or maybe planting out & protecting with a mini greenhouse cover, what sort of temp's do they lose frond's & whats the approx killing temp?. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Just noticed your comment re price's :) , i'll give them a bell next wk . karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They are superb ferns. But anything zero or below can kill them.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Springy

Post by Springy »

I think there was only a couple there at that size and a smaller trunked one possibly 2ft in size. I knew at the time that I should have noted the price because they have been mentioned on here quite a bit recently.
To be honest it's not laid out in a customer friendly way. There seems to be bits and bobs all over the place so remembering what a price was or comparing sizes of things could be and was, confusing!! :?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Yep frost free to be safe which means inside for winter unless you're prepared to go to Eduard Gerrard (GOTE) measures. Bear in mind that a medullaris with 3ft or more of trunk will be producing fronds of 4ft plus so 8ft headroom and 8ft spread.
pdid

Post by pdid »

This may give you some ideas:

http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... =Medularis
Springy

Post by Springy »

Tom2006 wrote:They are superb ferns. But anything zero or below can kill them.
Just removed from my wish list!!! :cry:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thinking the same now springy, i would like to go look at them though. Not been to vale''s for a while. karl.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Have a look at the £700 cycad whilst you are there. It's a beauty!!! :shock: icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have seen threads of people who keeps them in MUCH colder climates than ours. They plant in ground and build a complete enclosure and use heat cables. I wish I could find it now.

Does anyone know IF you can remove the fronds during winter? You could then pot up, move inside somewhere very cool but frost free with relative ease?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It's not good to remove Medullaris fronds as they don't like shock. I allow the old fronds to die back.
I was talking to a nurserie in Newealand about Tree ferns in the wild they said the tree ferns do experience cold but the daily temperatures so the tree ferns recover. I would never keep a Medullaris or other NewZealand species outside in the British isles. Don't plant one out, bundle fronds, keep it potted and move it indoors, they will not stand our winters at all.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:It's not good to remove Medullaris fronds as they don't like shock. I allow the old fronds to die back.
I was talking to a nurserie in Newealand about Tree ferns in the wild they said the tree ferns do experience cold but the daily temperatures so the tree ferns recover. I would never keep a Medullaris or other NewZealand species outside in the British isles. Don't plant one out, bundle fronds, keep it potted and move it indoors, they will not stand our winters at all.
Just wondering as I have mine (Still relatively small) in my heated polyhouse. Its put out a frond this winter so hopefully it will make it. Not sure what I will do as it gets bigger? icon_scratch .....build a conservatory maybe? :lol:
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I bring mine inside the house on cold nights,as has already been said,the fronds get very large even on young trees.My one,only has about 6 inch trunk.I have to prune the tips of some of the fronds,rather than cut them off completely,just so it will fit in my living room.It is a stunning plant,i think it is well worth the hassle.