what aspect is your rear garden?.

karl66

what aspect is your rear garden?.

Post by karl66 »

After some deliberating & arguments, we have finally decided after looking on google earth that our garden is a totally west facing, this is after years of thinking it was south/west!!, what we can't work out is why we have full summer sun till its pitch black?, is this not normally only full south facing gardens?, we have a complete open aspect to rear. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: what aspect is your rear garden?.

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Sun sets in the west, so if you're facing west its the last thing you'll see
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine is south facing, I will never have a garden with anything other than a south or south/west garden from now on. I'm guessing your garden isn't obstructed by anything therefore it gets sun most of the day.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks arlon!!, in old money does this mean its not a bad aspect to have!. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Karl, mines just off west facing so gets better protection from cold easterlies in the winter. On a typical summers day the suns around there by 9 to 9.30 so makes no difference as far as i can see . I would think a south facing is more open to winter easterlies. Personally, i find west is ok .
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

If you put a stick on your lawn so that it stands vertically then check the shadow it casts at 12.00 precisely then that will be the direction south is.

The shadow will point north.

If you face north then every quarter turn will be East, then South, then West and back to North again.

This works any time of the year providing it's midday and the Sun is out.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Karl, west-facing is a good selling point. Buyers will know that the garden will get the evening sun when they return from work. icon_thumleft

Ours is south / south west-facing, kinda ideal aspect, but sloping to the north, so long shadows in the winter. icon_thumbdown
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon, we have the sun blazing about 9.30 am right down the bottom of the garden, then about 11am it comes up towards the house & we have it blazing then till it gets dark. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

I would think the size of the garden has a big bearing as well i.e the larger the garden the less difference it makes anyway. For instance, the south side of mine gets the sun from sun up to sun down which is why i have the greenhouse down there.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Mine faces upwards ! :roll:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Just to add, as well as being west facing the garden has a slope down to the bottom were the last 25ft or so sit's on a spring so most planted item's are in raised bed's, i planted some gunnera there late last year so hopefully they will thrive. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

How about a South facing garden, but slightly slightly South East when stood at the very back and looking back towards the house? icon_scratch
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine faces my house but my house faces north.

I don't know why people say their gardens face away from their houses, all my designs and hardlanscaping were made to make it look best from the house so surely that means my garden faces south.

If my garden was a head I wouldn't be looking at the back of it.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch , now you have confused me!!, doesnt take much though :lol: . karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Good point do you do it from back wall of house looking at garden or back of garden looking back at house