what aspect is your rear garden?.

karl66

Re: what aspect is your rear garden?.

Post by karl66 »

Cordy, i always though it was done looking down with back to house?, stand to be corrected. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

8Am from the patio doors. shadows to the left? East cast shadows meaning north facing back garden?

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If you have sun in the morning and its gone by lunchtime then its east facing.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Mine faces south, hot hot hot icon_sunny from mid morning til early evening. One of the good things about a small inner city garden is, its a complete sun trap, we are protected by buildings, fences and my bamboo hedge. In fact on the rare occasion I have been known to moan its too hot :roll: :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Trudytropics wrote:Mine faces south, hot hot hot icon_sunny from mid morning til early evening. One of the good things about a small inner city garden is, its a complete sun trap, we are protected by buildings, fences and my bamboo hedge. In fact on the rare occasion I have been known to moan its too hot :roll: :lol:
sounds good in your garden. I love it when my decking gets so hot its painful to stand on.....it can never be too hot for me now. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Aye Tom it can get very hot under foot, roll on summer icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny The days of no shoes, shorts, open doors & windows, freezing beers and BBQ's, ahhhhhhhh :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I got it wrong :oops: :oops: looking out of my front window at my waggys in the front garden, i'm facing South, sun pretty much all day. Rises on my left, sets on my right.

Looking at my back garden from the patio doors, i'm looking north, sun rises on my right, and sets on my left. What are the downsides of a Northfacing back garden? as it still gets the sun all day? Is it normally the shadow cast by the house?

House is cut into a slope, so whilst two stories on the front, the back is like a bungalow, the roofs so low doesnt restrict the sun at all >>>

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

South west
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Same aspect as mine then Cordy, although my house casts a permanent shadow over almost all the garden in winter but just the third closest to the house in summer.

Around the winter solstice the only thing in my garden not in shadow is the top 2ft of the temple which makes the pitched roof catch the rays and heat inside the greenhouse.

I actually like having a cool shadowy area near the house in the height of summer as it provides some shelter from the sun and also allows me to grow shade tolerant planting.

According to Google maps my aspect is NNE.
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

68 degrees East. in summer come 3pm all the garden is in shade icon_rambo
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

I think the important point is that the north facing wall of a house shelters the garden/land from the sun and so tend to be damper and cooler. Great in a really hot summer when you need some shade but we rarely get any sun these days.

The south facing wall of a house warms up and re-radiates the suns energy and creates a heat trap near the house. Great for sun/heat loving plants and sun worshippers.

I'd say it's the aspect from the house that is important as if there was just a garden and no house then south facing wouldn't matter at all unless some other natural feature such as a hill affected the aspect.

I think that's enough science, now who's going to guarantee me a rain(snow) free weekend so I can get out there and enjoy some gardening?
billdango

Post by billdango »

My rear garden faces south east but as I am in a valley It only gets the sun from 10 in the morning till 8 at night in midsummer.

Being in a long narrow valley causes really strong winds to blow most of the time so when i am sweating in the pounding heat in the St denys palm garden my own garden is being buffeted by constant gales.

So sitting out at any time in my own garden is pretty hopeless for most days of the year and living on a corner seems to make it even worse.

But I have still got lots of wind battered palm trees so who cares.

billdango :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The rear garden faces northwest from the house and being on a hill it slopes downwards toward the southwest.

The entire property is walled but situated on a corner, the south west side being supported and raised above the road. This means that the loading wall running along the southwest side of the house is low, garden-side, with the sun bathing the back end all day.
GrevPlants 2012 067.JPG
This pic was taken a week after last years' Spring equinox, (it will look very different this year :shock: ) standing at the northwest/southwest corner of the house and facing the northwest aspect.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

allangreenbean wrote:I think the important point is that the north facing wall of a house shelters the garden/land from the sun and so tend to be damper and cooler. Great in a really hot summer when you need some shade but we rarely get any sun these days.

The south facing wall of a house warms up and re-radiates the suns energy and creates a heat trap near the house. Great for sun/heat loving plants and sun worshippers.

I'd say it's the aspect from the house that is important as if there was just a garden and no house then south facing wouldn't matter at all unless some other natural feature such as a hill affected the aspect.

I think that's enough science, now who's going to guarantee me a rain(snow) free weekend so I can get out there and enjoy some gardening?

I can move my table and chairs right outside the patio doors and get shade in the afternoon, but the low roof doesnt cast any real shadow into the garden itself, so like you said I guess North facing is only an issue with a 2 story or bigger house
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Same aspect as mine then Cordy, although my house casts a permanent shadow over almost all the garden in winter but just the third closest to the house in summer.

Around the winter solstice the only thing in my garden not in shadow is the top 2ft of the temple which makes the pitched roof catch the rays and heat inside the greenhouse.

I actually like having a cool shadowy area near the house in the height of summer as it provides some shelter from the sun and also allows me to grow shade tolerant planting.

According to Google maps my aspect is NNE.

You need to get some front garden palm action going on, all that sun icon_sunny icon_sunny