Planting 10 litre fatsia?.

karl66

Planting 10 litre fatsia?.

Post by karl66 »

I've always bought biggish fatsia previously, anyway i have some fatsia in 10 litre pots about 2ft high & i am undecided on planting them underneath my tree fern's or is it a little early because of there size?. karl.
brendan

Re: Planting 10 litre fatsia?.

Post by brendan »

Karl this 10 litre fatsia was planted 2 years ago and is pretty much in shade all day and is now nearly 5 foot high so the trouble with planting a fatsia japonica under a tree fern is it will soon be growing through the tree fern and ruin the look of the fern. Try a spiderweb under the fern as IT is much smaller and slower growing and can be pruned back if out grows the space.
Attachments
IMG_0476.JPG
PICT0082.JPG
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi brendan, sorry for confusion but what i meant was is it ok around 10c now to be planting them or is the hardiness more or less the same?. karl.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I planted a couple of standard Fatsia and a spider's Web last year and they were all in 2l pots.

All have done well despite being hit by the April snow of 2012 here.

I've got another couple out in 2L pots that have remained outside all winter and have not suffered in the least. I'm sure your 10L plants will enjoy getting their roots into the ground.

;)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No point planting out until we are getting double digit temps. Also they will grow quickly and if underneath tree ferns after a couple of years the emerging fronds will get damaged as they brush against the fatsia. Had to move a tree fern due to this a few years back.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I know what your saying tom, the tree ferns in question are over 4ft without emerging frond's so they'll take some catching!!, From what i've learned fatsia can be cut back/ pruned heavily without long term effects to them. I love the way fatsia grow in shade/semi shade, to me they look yellow & ill grown in full sun. karl.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I would not plant a fatsia beneath a tree fern .... I would plant it perhaps 4 foot to the side or back ... as it may outgrow the tree fern in rapid time (unless you have a 6 foot tree fern)

not sure about a spiders web (they grow slow, and there is still controvery on the size they reach .... some say they only grow 5 feet tall .... I planted one a year ago, and it has made a few new leaves, but it's still tiny .... the normal fatsias grow fast if fertilized properly

and fatsias even look good in full sun if watered often and fertilized with a high nitrogen fertilizer on a regular basis
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok Dim, unfortunatly there's no room 4ft back/sideways/ front!!, these fatsia are the variegated type so i donk think they get the same size as standard form. As re growing them in full sun , in my garden they turn yellow!!, mind you my sunniest spot gets riddiculous when the sun does come out. karl.
Lys

Post by Lys »

Karl66 - where did you get your lovely 10ft variegated fatsia? I'm not too far away, if you got it from a local supplier I may have to get one too! :D
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I wish it was 10ft!! :lol: . karl.
Lys

Post by Lys »

hehe 10 litre! :P
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Barnett hill garden centre clent, worcestershire. Karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I planted a two litre fatsia three years ago and its currently 5' tall. But if you prune there will be no problems. icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Tom, do you generally prune your fatsia or just leave to there own devices? karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

karl66 wrote:Tom, do you generally prune your fatsia or just leave to there own devices? karl.
No as its very bushy even at 5' so I'm just leaving it. One of the growth points at the top did rot away for some reason this winter so it might have cut itself. The last one I had got badly hit in winter 2009, and lost all growth points and never really recovered so I replaced it with this one and it sailed through winter 2010 without any issues at all. icon_scratch Pruning shouldn't affect it. icon_thumleft