Proper hardy tropicals!.

Nathan

Re: Proper hardy tropicals!.

Post by Nathan »

Just to chip in that I also agree it is best to plant small (not tiny) rather than buy a big palm. I have bought a couple of bigger palms in the past & they have been very slow to get established & grow much bigger, but smaller palms may take longer to get bigger, but once established they rocket...

An example of this were 2 Bangalow Palms I had. One was planted out as a tiny 18 inch tall plant, I then bought a bigger plant about 6ft tall. The bigger one did grow, but not very fast, the smaller one ended up growing taller after a couple of years! They are both now long dead though :lol:
RogerBacardy

Re: Proper hardy tropicals!.

Post by RogerBacardy »

"An example of this were 2 Bangalow Palms I had. One was planted out as a tiny 18 inch tall plant, I then bought a bigger plant about 6ft tall. The bigger one did grow, but not very fast, the smaller one ended up growing taller after a couple of years! They are both now long dead though "

That's a brilliant post, Nathan! Sums up Hardy Tropicals in a paragraph.

Cordyman, that's interesting. I'd say those Italian palms which many forum members bought are the very definition of field-grown, those pots are tiny in proportion to the size of the palms! Surprising that it's rocketed away already. icon_salut

My most treasured plant isn't a big purchase, but an 18 month old chammy I'm growing from seed, which was harvested on holiday in Spain in 2011, it's going to be fascinating watching it eventally grow into a full size palm :)