Will a Pruned Fatshedera Regrow?

GoggleboxUK

Will a Pruned Fatshedera Regrow?

Post by GoggleboxUK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:38 pm

My Fatshedera is looking terrible. Last year it grew like a demon and was full and bushy but it has almost completely defoliated over winter and the few remaining leaves at the top look far from healthy.

I can only put this down to the fact it is planted in a small trough rather than in the ground and the trough was left unprotected.

Can I cut it right back and expect regrowth like a can with a Fatsia or Ivy? My only other alternative will be to bin it completely.
Once upon a time there were 3 little bears. Now there's thousands of them.

flounder

Re: Will a Pruned Fatshedera Regrow?

Post by flounder » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Go ahead, give it a prune. They tend to go a bit straggly if not managed and if you're gonna bin it anyway, what have you got to lose?
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Very true, but should I trim or pollard it?

I'm wondering if I cut it down to half size will that encourage new growth below the cut or just resprouting from the cut?

cordyman

Post by cordyman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 pm

how about pulling some bricks up and getting it in the ground?

flounder

Post by flounder » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Reduce it by half, see how it turns out. you can always do it again in September
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 pm

I did consider that Cordy but I've got a Clematis planted in the same trough that is doing ok and if I moved the trough it wouldn't reach ground level so I would have to cut it all back.

I might end up moving that and just planting a row of Fatsias in the ground there instead if Gary's suggestion doesn't come up trumps.

Cheers, I will get the secateurs out tomorrow and do my worst.

;)

cordyman

Post by cordyman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:36 pm

GoggleboxUK wrote:I did consider that Cordy but I've got a Clematis planted in the same trough that is doing ok and if I moved the trough it wouldn't reach ground level so I would have to cut it all back.

I might end up moving that and just planting a row of Fatsias in the ground there instead if Gary's suggestion doesn't come up trumps.

Cheers, I will get the secateurs out tomorrow and do my worst.

;)
you could spend 10 mins removing all the clematis suckers with a fine tooth comb, then tie them back on with garden wire etc once lowered, would reattach itself in no time

Westport007

Post by Westport007 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:53 pm

i wouldn't cut it back too much.there slow to come back if you cut into the old wood.give it a light trim.should be fine.

cordyman

Post by cordyman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 am

If this is the same species/genus etc as Fatsia? I accidentally stood on a fatsia and snapped it clean off where the stem comes out the ground, re-planted it at the back of the garden and forgot about it and this year its growing beautifully again and forming a new woody stem/trunk etc