Will a Pruned Fatshedera Regrow?

GoggleboxUK

Will a Pruned Fatshedera Regrow?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My Fatshedera is looking terrible. Last year it grew like a demon and was full and bushy but it has almost completely defoliated over winter and the few remaining leaves at the top look far from healthy.

I can only put this down to the fact it is planted in a small trough rather than in the ground and the trough was left unprotected.

Can I cut it right back and expect regrowth like a can with a Fatsia or Ivy? My only other alternative will be to bin it completely.
flounder

Re: Will a Pruned Fatshedera Regrow?

Post by flounder »

Go ahead, give it a prune. They tend to go a bit straggly if not managed and if you're gonna bin it anyway, what have you got to lose?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Very true, but should I trim or pollard it?

I'm wondering if I cut it down to half size will that encourage new growth below the cut or just resprouting from the cut?

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

how about pulling some bricks up and getting it in the ground?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Reduce it by half, see how it turns out. you can always do it again in September
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I did consider that Cordy but I've got a Clematis planted in the same trough that is doing ok and if I moved the trough it wouldn't reach ground level so I would have to cut it all back.

I might end up moving that and just planting a row of Fatsias in the ground there instead if Gary's suggestion doesn't come up trumps.

Cheers, I will get the secateurs out tomorrow and do my worst.

;)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I did consider that Cordy but I've got a Clematis planted in the same trough that is doing ok and if I moved the trough it wouldn't reach ground level so I would have to cut it all back.

I might end up moving that and just planting a row of Fatsias in the ground there instead if Gary's suggestion doesn't come up trumps.

Cheers, I will get the secateurs out tomorrow and do my worst.

;)
you could spend 10 mins removing all the clematis suckers with a fine tooth comb, then tie them back on with garden wire etc once lowered, would reattach itself in no time
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

i wouldn't cut it back too much.there slow to come back if you cut into the old wood.give it a light trim.should be fine.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

If this is the same species/genus etc as Fatsia? I accidentally stood on a fatsia and snapped it clean off where the stem comes out the ground, re-planted it at the back of the garden and forgot about it and this year its growing beautifully again and forming a new woody stem/trunk etc