How big can choisiya get?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

How big can choisiya get?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think I have a big one in the front garden as its over 6foot tall and at least 9 foot wide. Do they get any bigger than this?
tropicalwon

Re: How big can choisiya get?

Post by tropicalwon »

They can grow to about 8FT high....

I had one in my back garden, many moons ago, that got to over 7 feet high with a spread of approx 8 feet....
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cheers for that, mine must be a mature one then. Its in totally the wrong place however so will have to go....
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:shock: 8ft!

I hope they can be pruned or mine will definitely need to be relocated.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

not worth pruning back and potting up to move later kris?

a big plant is always a nice bonus to get for free, they are quite slow growing in my garden.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I put a 'hedge of these in a private communal garden over twenty-five years ago and at nine feet high after a few years along the run were way too big. Hard pruning as soon as the flowers were spent produced ugly bare branches at four feet high. These returned to eight feet high by the end of summer and were in full flower by the following spring.

Someone now clips them like a formal privet hedge. Hardly flowers and looks pants. :ahhh!:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

hmm, thought about pruning hard back but uts got quite a substantial looking base with thickish branches. Would look very ugly. Do they transplant ok?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

hmm, thought about pruning hard back but uts got quite a substantial looking base with thickish branches. Would look very ugly. Do they transplant ok?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My choisa is the only plant I kept after we moved in.
Luckily it was against the back fence so in a good spot.

First year I kept it trimmed but last year I didn't touch it and it's now 5' high.
It's a lovely plant and looks great behind palms IMO.

If your digging it up anyway Kris then it's definately worth trying a transplant.
multim

Post by multim »

Yes they can grow large and straggly but clip it, prune it to shape. You'll have a better shrub for it as new growth sprouts very quickly.http://www.architecturalplants.com/plant.html?code=CTNP
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I know they are good for renovation pruning not looked up on transplanting a big one.
I should imagine it would transplant as well as any large shrub, no special care or worries for this one particular.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Tried to transplant a few of these but large ones seldom make it, even after cutting back hard. I have a much higher success rate when they are smaller.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I normally hard prune every third year, keeps them at a manageable size plus you can stick a pot of something in front of it until it leafs out again which only takes a few weeks.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

GREVILLE wrote:Tried to transplant a few of these but large ones seldom make it, even after cutting back hard. I have a much higher success rate when they are smaller.
that would be true of any plant really, lol.

depending on how quick it needs to be moved you could do the circle trench thing to increase its chances.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here is mine from 5 mins ago, sorry about the pic, the sun is trying to shine from behind it. I prune away the lower growth making it a stanbdard . its grown back over autumn/winter and needs doing again. Low pruning opens up planting areas under it and protects things under it's evergreen canopy. You can see the trunks just showing where it was pruned last year :roll:
Attachments
2013-05-09-18-09-56 Choisya ternata.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright