Butia Question: Growth after Planting

GoggleboxUK

Butia Question: Growth after Planting

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This is the Butia I planted out recently which had a couple of new fronds coming through.

I have noticed that these fronds are unfurling and wondered if this is normal behaviour? When I have planted Trachys they tend to stall even with half open fronds.

I can't imagine I have managed to plant this one out without causing it to sulk because I had to remove almost all the soil from the rootball to get it out of the tapered pot so the roots were well and truly disturbed.

When I potted it up it sulked for about a year then started to move slowly. It was just getting into some speedier growth when I disturbed it to get it in the ground. It must hate me :lol:
PaulPlants

Re: Butia Question: Growth after Planting

Post by PaulPlants »

My Butia also continued to grow after I planted it in 2010. That fresh growth all pulled during the winter 2010/11. Absolutely nothing happened during the summer of 2011 and I feared the worse for the following winter of 2011/12. It made it through the winter, still green (but with a yellow tint) but did nothing! At the very end of last summer it finally started to push through a frond, although heavily distorted. This spring a second healthier frond is pushing through and I'm hoping it has now settled.

So anyways, what I'm trying to say is... "good luck, but don't get your hopes up... I've been waiting over 2 years!'