Plant ID please

Delboy

Re: Plant ID please

Post by Delboy »

The problem with lillies and cats is that they brush past them and the pollen sticks to there fur.
They then lick themselves clean........ and die a painful death.

Other plants need to be chewed or eaten, lillies just need to be touched.

Im a big cat lover, i never had any lillies until last year when i found 'new' pollen free ones. Lovely flowers, just no pollen....win win sitiuation for me.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Did you know that Cycas Revoluta are extremely poisonous?

If you were to cut off just 2 of the leaflets from a single frond, grind them up and add them to your Gandma's food then she'd certainly croak it.

Similarly, if you have dogs, cats, sheep, llamas or pet Puffins then you should advise them never to chew on a Cycad and suggest Orbit Sugar Free instead, far healthier.

I'm not being flippant either, I'm just demonstrating that many, many species on planet earth tend to live in perfect harmony with the abundant fauna around them without ever feeling the need to chomp on them and risk kidney failure.

I wonder how many of us are far more at risk from GM foods, chemical preservatives or just the lack of biodegradable food content in a McDonalds and never get a reassuring tap on the shoulder and a shake of the head from our pets as a warning. Probably far less than you'd expect.
Hey Gog any Idea how long it take to die from Cycas poisoning, sounds like a good way to avoid the old peoples home to me. Hummmmmm I wonder if it works on squirrels. icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

often in my worse moods I wonder if the csi's would test for brugmansia poisoning :lol: :twisted: :roll: icon_aaargh
kata

Post by kata »

Did you know that Cycas Revoluta are extremely poisonous?
Yes, when I got my first Cycad and read how to treat it...thanks G!!

Cats and what they said; Its a forum, forums are meant to be fun as well as serious, no cats were harmed by the text they wrote...I doubt they meant it literally.

icon_sunny
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I'm with you on this K gardening forums are supposed to be fun and informative. Ive got a pound note that says there is not a soul on this forum that's had a cat killed by a Lilly! In fact I bet I have more chance of having a night out with Holly Hunter than that happening, actually I would prefer Rachel Weisz but I'm dyslexic and couldn't spell her name. :roll: Getting back to the subject at hand I had a similar experience yesterday lunch time, I was picking some rocket when I spotted an unusual shaped leaf, thinking it was a weed I yanked it out and screwed it up. I then noticed some more leaves, the next one I dug out with a trowel and it came out with the seed attached making it immediately Identifiable as a Tree Peony I planted 2 years ago and had forgotten. In all I managed to dig up 6 undamaged plant which I potted up. icon_cheers Unfortunately I don't know what color they will be. Any one else found something they had forgotten about. icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I know of a cat that was killed by a lily.

The one that peed on my newly planted Heuchera was savagely beaten to death by a plantpot full of them.

Blam, right in the kisser!!

(No cats were harmed in the creation of this joke).
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I know of a cat that was killed by a lily.

The one that peed on my newly planted Heuchera was savagely beaten to death by a plantpot full of them.

Blam, right in the kisser!!

(No cats were harmed in the creation of this joke).
The Pound note is on the way. :lol: