Plant ID please

GoggleboxUK

Plant ID please

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Can anyone ID this for me please?

Not sure if it's a weed or something I planted deliberately as a small plant there last year when I redid that area.

Thanks in advance ;)
GaryW

Re: Plant ID please

Post by GaryW »

Some kind of Lilium, wait until the flower opens !! :D
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I'm not very good at this but it looks like a lily to me.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yep definately a lily.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks folks, that makes sense.

:)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Her name's Lily and she's unattached. No red weevil pestering her. :wink:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

recognised it as a lilly straight away as I am trained to avoid them as they are so deadly to cats.

I wonder how will giles manages to have so many in his garden and not kill any of his pets.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Mr List wrote:recognised it as a lilly straight away as I am trained to avoid them as they are so deadly to cats.
I'm off to B and Q tomorrow to buy some lilies.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:recognised it as a lilly straight away as I am trained to avoid them as they are so deadly to cats.

I wonder how will giles manages to have so many in his garden and not kill any of his pets.
Cats only eats grass shaped plants, so they will nibble palms, but not go around grazing every plant in the garden.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

it only takes a bit of pollen to get on their coat to kill them.

ps
I don't think it is very funny to comment on killing people pets and defenceless animals in a horrific way.
kidney failure is not a nice way to go.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Mr List wrote:it only takes a bit of pollen to get on their coat to kill them.

ps
I don't think it is very funny to comment on killing people pets and defenceless animals in a horrific way.
kidney failure is not a nice way to go.
I agree totally Mr list!! That comment wound me up like a watch! I realise that not everyone is an animal lover but there is no need for comments like that on here! icon_rambo
flounder

Post by flounder »

I have a garden full of various types of lillium. How come I don't have a garden full of dead cats? icon_scratch
Probably the same reason I don't have a garden full of dead russian spys underneath the ricinus.....
Back on topic, it looks like an asiatic lily Rick, non scented but still nice.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

do you have cats yourself?

I personally really wouldn't take the risk as I think of my cats like my babies.

if you don't own cats you could very well be causing heartbreak and pain to many families.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I don't have cats now. The last three lived to the ages of 14, 16 and 13. Maybe it was the lilies that done 'em in?
There are loads of cats that use my garden as a toilet and a hunting ground, not nice but the last thing that killed one of them, was a Ford Focus.
From what I gather, it's house cats that seem to be more at risk.
It's up to you if you don't grow a certain plant because of it's toxicity but I feel you're over reacting to a potential cat-astophe, pun intended.
Thread successfully highjacked, my work here is done.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Did you know that Cycas Revoluta are extremely poisonous?

If you were to cut off just 2 of the leaflets from a single frond, grind them up and add them to your Gandma's food then she'd certainly croak it.

Similarly, if you have dogs, cats, sheep, llamas or pet Puffins then you should advise them never to chew on a Cycad and suggest Orbit Sugar Free instead, far healthier.

I'm not being flippant either, I'm just demonstrating that many, many species on planet earth tend to live in perfect harmony with the abundant fauna around them without ever feeling the need to chomp on them and risk kidney failure.

I wonder how many of us are far more at risk from GM foods, chemical preservatives or just the lack of biodegradable food content in a McDonalds and never get a reassuring tap on the shoulder and a shake of the head from our pets as a warning. Probably far less than you'd expect.