Where can I buy eucalyptus plants today?

paulrm71

Re: Where can I buy eucalyptus plants today?

Post by paulrm71 »

Update on my dalrympleana, it's grown just over 2ft in 2 months. It is still staked, but only tied at the bottom. This is going to get big really fast!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

paulrm71 wrote:Update on my dalrympleana, it's grown just over 2ft in 2 months. It is still staked, but only tied at the bottom. This is going to get big really fast!
icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Here's one of them planted. Got a long long way to go to make an impressive tree. :lol:
Attachments
euc regnans.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

might want to mark it out so it isn't mistaken for a weed :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Here's one of them planted. Got a long long way to go to make an impressive tree. :lol:
Its going to be such impressive growth rate we need a timelapse vid icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Here's one of them planted. Got a long long way to go to make an impressive tree. :lol:
Its going to be such impressive growth rate we need a timelapse vid icon_cheers
I've just set one up.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think it will be 10ft in three years if it is anything like the Eucalyptus I planted three years ago. I have three new ones to plant at the bottom of the garden to reduce the wind in the garden through winter.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Pan global plants (google) planted a dalrympleana that grew from 1 metre to 9 metres in three years!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, Ive no doubt you have done your homework on these tree's!, I want to plant one of these in the far corner of my garden but am confused & wary of which species to plant?. karl.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Kris, Ive no doubt you have done your homework on these tree's!, I want to plant one of these in the far corner of my garden but am confused & wary of which species to plant?. karl.
Basically all will suck a lot of water up, may break branches after heavy snowfall and grow really tall. But I love them! Gunnii is your safest bet as it is one of the hardest and least fussyabout soil conditions.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris ive picked up a Gunneii this afternoon & planted down the bottom end of garden!, it's about 1metre high or maybe just less & was £16.99p, the chap at the nursery reckon's at this size it will take approx 5years to double in size? I thought they were a little faster than this?, I was tempted to buy a 2metre high one but for some reason this was £59.99p :roll: . What i'd like to do when its established a while is trim all the side shoot's & grow it almost like a standard photinia?, is this possible with these? karl.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Kris ive picked up a Gunneii this afternoon & planted down the bottom end of garden!, it's about 1metre high or maybe just less & was £16.99p, the chap at the nursery reckon's at this size it will take approx 5years to double in size? I thought they were a little faster than this?, I was tempted to buy a 2metre high one but for some reason this was £59.99p :roll: . What i'd like to do when its established a while is trim all the side shoot's & grow it almost like a standard photinia?, is this possible with these? karl.

You did the right thing in buying the smaller plant. The bigger one will find it harder to establish and more prone to falling over. Your tree will be at least 15 foot in five years time.
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

i'll be surprised if it survives the winter but best of luck with it.they are really fast growing when they get going. :D
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

greendragon wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:This is where the Eucs will go.
Looks really exposed, not good when eucs have a reputation for dropping branches. I heard that the eucs are more likely to drop branches here because the heavy rainfall causes them to grow more leaves which makes their branches heavier than they would have been in their natural environment.
windrock is the biggest problem.australia isn't half as windy as british isles and they grow in forest clumps sheltering one another as they grow. :D
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Westport007 wrote:
greendragon wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:This is where the Eucs will go.
Looks really exposed, not good when eucs have a reputation for dropping branches. I heard that the eucs are more likely to drop branches here because the heavy rainfall causes them to grow more leaves which makes their branches heavier than they would have been in their natural environment.
windrock is the biggest problem.australia isn't half as windy as british isles and they grow in forest clumps sheltering one another as they grow. :D

They grow Eucs at Old Rushton Vicarage to act as a wind break see :
http://exoticyorkshiregarden.blogspot.c ... t-one.html

There are plenty of gunnii round here that are thriving and been here for many years.