Where can I buy eucalyptus plants today?

Kristen

Re: Where can I buy eucalyptus plants today?

Post by Kristen »

The Eucs at East Ruston look great, to my eyes!, and their light canopy creates nice dappled shade for the woodland plants they have underneath (it was more densely planted previously and they have been steadily removing trees to open it up a bit as the trees have grown).
IMG_6894_EastRustonEucalyptus.jpg
But they do have a row of Monterey Pines around the perimeter as the first line of defence for winds, and that perhaps means that the Eucs don't have to suffer the extremes alone. (They are felling the Monterey and replanting with Holm Oaks on the North side now, which I guess has opened them up to some cold Northerlies! in the short term).

I've dotted Eucs and Silver Birch around the area I want as a dappled shade walk (mostly planted with Hydrangeas) which hopefully will have a similar effect in a few years time.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Best thing to do to make sure a euc does not fall over is to coppice it when it reaches 7ft then let it grow up again so the roots have a headstart.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

greendragon wrote:Best thing to do to make sure a euc does not fall over is to coppice it when it reaches 7ft then let it grow up again so the roots have a headstart.
Sounds like a plan. I've just added a niphophia (sp) to my collection.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Or you could nip the top buds out when its at the size you want it.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Dalrympleana has now grown five foot in six months. Now standing 9 ft tall in my raised bed. So far it's working exactly as I wanted it and drying out the arid bed perfectly. How long do they take to thicken up their trunks?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:Or you could nip the top buds out when its at the size you want it.
I want mine to be a 100ft tall.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm letting my Eucalyptus just grow to.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

To give you an idea how fast Eucalyptus gunnii grows here's two pictures of one from my Gran's garden, it since had to be coppiced as I noticed the rootball starting to rock! It is now regrowing strongly and most importantly securely lol.

3 months between the two pictures, planted in Miracle grow multi purpose compost.