Where can I buy eucalyptus plants today?

Kristen

Re: Where can I buy eucalyptus plants today?

Post by Kristen »

Eucalyptus are my choice too as I want trees that will put on some height promptly, and not look boring. I am planting other trees that will be more suitable longer term - and then I can fell the Eucalyptus when the others get to a decent size.

I am also planting Hybrid Poplars (which have no redeeming features at all, other than speed) with the intention of felling them in probably as little as 10 years - their job is just to provide shelter for the others to have an easier life, and thus grow faster.

Might be worth planting a Laurel hedge right on the border for a similar windbreak effect? (Other hedges might do, and would be capable of being maintained "thinner", but laurel seems popular as a windbreak around young tree planting)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:Eucalyptus are my choice too as I want trees that will put on some height promptly, and not look boring. I am planting other trees that will be more suitable longer term - and then I can fell the Eucalyptus when the others get to a decent size.

I am also planting Hybrid Poplars (which have no redeeming features at all, other than speed) with the intention of felling them in probably as little as 10 years - their job is just to provide shelter for the others to have an easier life, and thus grow faster.

Might be worth planting a Laurel hedge right on the border for a similar windbreak effect? (Other hedges might do, and would be capable of being maintained "thinner", but laurel seems popular as a windbreak around young tree planting)

That sounds like a well thought out idea. I don't want to go to the lengths of having to chop down trees in a few years time but a hedge/screen is something I intend to put up to give the young trees a fights chance to get established.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I don't want to go to the lengths of having to chop down trees in a few years time
Yeah, bit of a nuisence and cost if a tree surgeon is needed, but my Hybrid Poplars ("Robusta" which has the narrowest width I could find, not as narrow as Lombardy, but only 50p each planted as Setts in November ... and should grow 2M - 2.5M p.a.) are right on my boundary and I will be able to clear fell them across the neighbouring field after a harvest - might be something you could do easily on your far-end perimeter?
a hedge/screen is something I intend to put up to give the young trees a fights chance to get established.
Another "device" I am using is clear "layflat plastic". Its a plastic tube that comes on a roll, the width of roll I have is about waist high, so lets say 6' circumference - 50 - 60cm diameter. I just put 4 canes around a plant and then put a suitably high length of the lay-flat tubing around them to make an open-topped cloche for them. Keeps the wind off, and traps some summer warmth - perhaps even increases / traps rising humidity. Definitely brings my trees and shrubs on faster on my somewhat exposed site

My 3x Fatsia during last winter:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

If you ever decided to cut them down they can come back from the base and create a hedge.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have just read that if you stake a Eucalyptus tree it weakens it and can make it lean once the stake has been removed.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its best to plant small trees so that they establish better. Larger specimens are likely to be pot bound and tend to fall over as the roots don't grow out into the soil easily.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

That's why Graftons use the airpots to stop the roots from becoming pot bound. I think I will be buying one or two Eucalyptus from Graftons this year.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant as I love eucalyptus but please don't rest your old granny under them unless you are a beneficiary in her will. icon_thumright As for populars I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole we had one blow over in the garden and took my dads brick built pigeon pen out and only missed the side of the house by 6 inches. :ahhh!: It took a considerable time for me to chainsaw it up. :roll:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well I've planted all three tonight. Very small plants but hopefully they'll establish well. (I wont be sitting under them)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It took my Eucalyptus 3 years to grow from a small plant to 10ft tall.
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

regnans!!!!!!!!omg do not plant that, it can grow over 50m high and besides it won't survive the british winters. :D i would say plant gunni,rubida or acaiciaformis. :D
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Westport007 wrote:regnans!!!!!!!!omg do not plant that, it can grow over 50m high and besides it won't survive the british winters. :D i would say plant gunni,rubida or acaiciaformis. :D
The regnans is the least hardy of the three that I've planted but I wanted a really big tree.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

don't you fancy any of the long needled pines/pinus ?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:don't you fancy any of the long needled pines/pinus ?

I do like a couple of these....
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

they get big and fast, they are also hardy.