Best uk fern dead Dicksonia antarctica log

tropical Tom

Best uk fern dead Dicksonia antarctica log

Post by tropical Tom »

I have hollowed out a six foot dead tree fern log that was given to me. I was thinking of planting a 9cm pot size Dryopteris affinis into it, would this be the best fern to plant in this situation? I know I could plant a 9cm Dicksonia antarctica into it but due to the size of the trunk I'd rather it be a hardy fern! The site I have in mind can be quite sunny :D

All suggestions welcome!
multim

Re: Best uk fern dead Dicksonia antarctica log

Post by multim »

I have found that if the trunk is stood upright then whatever is planted will quickly dry out, almost like a fibre lined hanging basket. However, if you lay the trunk down so that it is in good contact with the soil, then plant within,(trough style) then ferns will do very well.
Okay, that defeats the object as I guess that you are looking at a trunk with plants growing at the top?
Good idea, but I and others have tried it without success.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

A cacti or bromeliad might fair better but look a bit different
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

A cacti or bromeliad might fair better but look a bit different
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'd be tempted to try a Shuttlecock fern in a coir liner with a good mix of humus rich compost and water retaining crystals.

Watered daily, like a hanging basket in hot weather, it should thrive.

Alternatively, why not try a more drought tolerant grass Like these examples to create a Faux Yucca Rostrata type look:

Carex Everest

Carex Everillo

Carex Evergreen

Or even a Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' (although these are perennial and die off during winter).

All 3 of these are available at Fitzgerald Nurseries, the place that bred them.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would go for a fern and possibly some water retaining crystals, well water it until it gets its roots deep in to the old Dicksonia antarctica trunk.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I tried this with a dead one of mine TT tbh wasn't very successful. It did put down roots but probably one of the reasons it wasn't successful for me was because I never keep up with the watering and it kept drying out. Another dead fern trunk I have left planted out, and it is now almost covered (well it will be by the end of the season) with three different ferns which have naturally grown on the trunk. Strangely enough a Dryopteris has made its way into the top of the fern. I've left this one to grow. Although it's a dead tree fern, it's actually starting to look good.

Good luck with yours TT icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Thanks for your replies, I think, for the sake of a couple of quid, I'll try the Dryopteris affinis, if it doesn't work, then maybe lay it down and try something else. :D