Male & female Trachycarpus's.

karl66

Male & female Trachycarpus's.

Post by karl66 »

Most of my larger ones are in flower now, my kid's bought me a propagator & some other bit's yesterday for father's day!, I would like a bash at growing some offspring!, whats the best way of telling the sex of each palm?, I've seen an explanation on e.p.s but I cant tell the difference between each flower?. karl.
jungle jas

Re: Male & female Trachycarpus's.

Post by jungle jas »

Karl, I was not going to answer this post as what I am about to reveal is second hand knowledge so I am not sure if its fact or fiction, so please don't shoot the messenger if it is wrong. I'm pretty sure this came from a post on EPS. Tap the flower, if its a male you will see pollen dust fall from the flower. Seems plausible to me. icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jungle jas wrote: Tap the flower, if its a male you will see pollen dust fall from the flower. Seems plausible to me. icon_thumright
True, if the flowerhead is mature. Not shedding pollen can mean either female, or an immature or overmature male.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

For many years my Trachycarpus flowered releasing pollen in quite large quantities. I assumed it was male. Three years ago it started producing a few seeds and a couple of seedlings grew underneath it. Now it produces 100's of seeds, in fact there are 100's still on it from last year and it's flowering now icon_scratch
call

Post by call »

GaryW wrote:For many years my Trachycarpus flowered releasing pollen in quite large quantities. I assumed it was male. Three years ago it started producing a few seeds and a couple of seedlings grew underneath it. Now it produces 100's of seeds, in fact there are 100's still on it from last year and it's flowering now icon_scratch
maybe your Trachycarpus had a sex change operation :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Just taken these pics of my 2 largest Trachys, I think I've got this the right way round:

Trachycarpus Flowers, male and female:

karl66

Post by karl66 »

Rick, if that's the case then I only have one large male that's flowering so far!!, they do say that there's more female's in the uk population though. :lol: . karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Right so I was the wrong way round, sounds about normal for me :lol:
Dave Brown wrote:Male flower branches are pendulus arching downward
TrunkyTrachy0011.jpg