Weedkiller for Block Paving Grow-Betweens?

GoggleboxUK

Weedkiller for Block Paving Grow-Betweens?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It's getting out of hand now, Willow herb everywhere and a whole host of other straggly looking things shooting up in the gaps between paving blocks.

The plants in raised beds and troughs aren't a concern but, with my garden being sloped, I'm concerned that if I use something like Pathclear it will wash down into the newly dug out 'paving hole' beds.

Is this likely to have an adeverse effect on whatever I've planted there? Butia, Fargesia, Schleffera, Trachycarpus, Chamerops, Dicksonia antarctica. Cycas Revoluta, Heuchera, Pelargonium, Hemerocalis and grasses to be specific.

If it won't kill off my plants, how does it kill off the weeds?

Any suggestions for an easily accessible and good weedkiller will be most welcome. I bought 2 different types in spray bottles that were supposed to cover 15m sq, used half of each on an area about 2m sq and not a single thig has been touched :roll:

The last straw was my son saying today that it was a waste of time putting the block paving in because the bits we haven't torn up are being reclaimed by nature and won't be visible soon anyway.

HELP!!
Dim

Re: Weedkiller for Block Paving Grow-Betweens?

Post by Dim »

roundup (the one you dilute with water and not the ready mixed one)

however, you need to get the 'strong' version .... there are a few different roundup weedkillers on the market, and the ones sold at tescos and B&Q etc are the 'weaker versions'

here are a few:

Roundup Pro Biactive:
http://www.pitchcare.com/shop/roundup-p ... ntrol.html

Roundup Ultra 3000:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotts-Roundup- ... B003MPGG7G

you can find these in a good garden centre ... it takes a few days before it starts to work though, and get a decent sprayer .... seems expensive at first, but when diluted, it makes up to 100 litres

there are better weedkillers available, but you need a licence to buy them (not for home use and marketed to farmers etc)

and apply when the sun is setting and ensure that it does not rain for at least 6-8hrs after applying
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's looking difficult over the next few days Dim, set for a spell of wet weather here in the NW it would seem :roll:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll treat myself to a decent sprayer next week and see what I can find in the GC.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Could you not just jetwash the weeds out gogs, thats what i do in the front garden..
flounder

Post by flounder »

If you're worried about using herbicides, the other way is on your hands and knees and use a penknife or such run it down the joints. Very labour intensive.
The jet wash idea does work, but really, really makes a mess
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Dee, I could use a jet wash, it would give me an excuse to buy one I suppose :lol: but, as Flounder says, it would be messy and probably end up washing away a lot of the new soil I used to build up the levels to meet the top of the block.

A knife or scraper does seem the most friendly egologically and safest but I really don't fancy 2 full days on my hands and knees only to have to do it all over again in a couple of years.

The other option is a flamethrower but that's also quite risky.

Oh well, maybe the knife for an hour a day for a fortnight if the stuff Dim suggested doesn't work.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Roundup will kill what it touches, and then not persist. So you'll have to reapply to anything that germinates thereafter. Don't let any weeds go-to-seed.

Is there a membrane under the block paving? That would help, but if the blocks are just on sand (rather than cemented in) then weeds will still germinate in the sand.

Persistent weedkillers, like patchclear, will kill seeds when they germinate (for 6 months or so) but they will poison the soil and may well run into adjacent beds etc.

So I think you are stuck with a contact-herbicide, rather than a long term one.

I don't think you need a super-strong one, I get a good kill using cheap Glyphosate from garden centre, although I do have the strong agricultural versions of Roundup for pernicious weeds.

As Dim said: its important that it does not rain for 6 hours after application (if that is a real issue for you - e.g. hard to find a time when the air is still enough to prevent spray-drift, and will stay dry, and YOU have time available) then there are commercial versions of Roundup that have shorter must-stay-dry periods (and they, Agricultural restricted, or not, seem to be available on eBay ...). Also it will take 2 weeks to kill the weeds, and you may see no signs of anything for a week - so Don't Panic! I use a very coarse spray on my sprayer to reduce the chance of drift.

If the amount of weed you have is small you might consider a pre-mixed spray bottle. Its a much more expensive way of buying the stuff, but it has some sort of stabiliser added, so you can just nip out and spray the odd weed whenever you fancy.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Kristen, that's helpful advice ;)

I've been out for 40 minutes today with a knife and had a go, managed to clear a reasonable area that was the worst affected.

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I've been out for 40 minutes today with a knife and had a go, managed to clear a reasonable area that was the worst affected.
If you had put weed killer on them you would be looking at them gradularly going yellow over a two week period, and then sitting there, brown, thereafter ... so you may be much better off with little-and-often manually :)

For anything deep rooted that will regrow then Glyphosate would help to kill it off, at the roots, but other than that I think you might be better off just pulling them up, particularly anything growing from seed.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I agree, unfortunately there's no substitute for a bit of graft ;)

I've just been back out abd done another 15 minutes and it's actually quite therapeutic and rewarding to see the change.

It's also allowed me to get a real close up look at some of the plants I generally gloss over whilst watering.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Another tip.
kneel on a cushion, as you're not young any more and your knees will play up for days after :wink:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

flounder wrote:Another tip.
kneel on a cushion, as you're not young any more and your knees will play up for days after :wink:
Oh god, that's all I need. I've reached the age where I need a Wilko kneeling pad :roll:
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've used a kneeling pad for years.....knees are fine but my backs buttered :(
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handle-Brush-Cl ... y_lp_img_z

no need to bend down
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I was going to suggest one of those for finishing off the little stragglers

ps

if you used the brush at the first signs of germination then you'd never need to knife out anything bigger