Dicksonia antarctica logs

Mr List

Dicksonia antarctica logs

Post by Mr List »

what are the factors that make a seagraves Dicksonia antarctica log come back into growth?

I am wondering if there is any way to speed things up, lol.
karl66

Re: Dicksonia antarctica logs

Post by karl66 »

Ken, I had a few off them in January & even though there not as fast as my established ones there all pushing out healthy growth. I've been really drenching them with water/champak high nitrogen & a seaweed extract, they are all a lush green!!, I did hold back on the nitrogen last month though. karl.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I just stood my 2 in a bucket of water for 48hrs then watered from the crown daily til they leaked from the sides. I kept them in the greenhouse until the croziers emerged then planted them out.
kata

Post by kata »

I bought the smallest from Seagroves, Potted mine,watered it,

Later (weeks) I asked my gardner to plant it. Its now got seven fronds so done very well.

:mrgreen:

As well as water ML its down to sun.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mr List wrote:what are the factors that make a seagraves Dicksonia antarctica log come back into growth?

I am wondering if there is any way to speed things up, lol.
Mine didnt until late June. I take its a new one that you have got from them? If so then our local tree fern importer works on a 9 out of 10 success rate. You should be able to feel the fronds in the crown they should be firm to the touch. if you cant unfortunately it could be a 1 in 10 one. Until your sure plenty of water and sun.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I got it bone dry on the 14th of june,
I have the hosepipe tide up to it and it is on all day everyday trickling into the top.

it is one of those with a really deep crown, like 4 inches down. I have just today removed some of the extra leftover stipes (?) to make sure the fronds can get out ok.

I think can just feel the beginnings of knuckles.

just wondering what the average time from bone dry to fronds is?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mr List wrote:I got it bone dry on the 14th of june,
I have the hosepipe tide up to it and it is on all day everyday trickling into the top.

it is one of those with a really deep crown, like 4 inches down. I have just today removed some of the extra leftover stipes (?) to make sure the fronds can get out ok.

I think can just feel the beginnings of knuckles.

just wondering what the average time from bone dry to fronds is?
If you just have it I'm not sure. Mine took three months but they respond to warmth/light/water. A nice warm sheltered spot and hopefully it will push up nice and quick. I personally would just mulch around the base no need for any ferts in the crown.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Mr List Here`s a few pics that i took of mine last year. They were bought from Seagraves and turned up bone dry. You can see from the first pic that i`ve just given them a good watering into the crowns as i was a bit concerned about how dry they were. The first pic was taken on 23/7/2012.
The second and 3rd pics were taken on 12/8/2012
The last pic was taken on 2/9/ 2012.
Attachments
2012-07-23 17.10.09.jpg
2012-08-12 19.49.48.jpg
2012-08-12 19.51.01.jpg
2012-09-02 19.39.33.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

so a few more weeks yet :)
kata

Post by kata »

Its July next week and we passed the longest day yesterday ML,

Not sure if any will or will not turn up now. Course if we get sun after all this rain then you may get a few croziers (check the fur in the crown) showing.

icon_sunny