Euphorbia mellifera.

karl66

Euphorbia mellifera.

Post by karl66 »

I have a large example growing in shade, it's a great plant with lovely leaf texture, it wont flower though as I planted it in shade on purpose to try & protect from winter weather!, i'd like to try it in a more sunny spot & was wondering how they take to transplanting before the spade comes out? :lol: . karl.
Nigel Fear

Re: Euphorbia mellifera.

Post by Nigel Fear »

Just moved one myself recently, for the same reason, it wilted terribly, and still looks bad but is slowly picking up now.
I'd prune off most of the taller stems down to the ground if I were to do it again [watch out for the sap], and keep an eye on those capsid bugs that seem to be attacking mine at the moment.

When grown in the sun, they flower much better, and set seed, so hopefully in the future you won't need to worry.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks nigel.mine hasn't wilted its just a bit shaded in between bamboo's & a large fatsia. one of the patio chairs has been getting rather sticky lately!, I now know the culprit. I may just continue to grow it for the foliage as i'd hate to move it & have it die!. karl
flounder

Post by flounder »

Karl, before you move it, take some cuttings. They root fairly easily in a sandy mix compost....I wouldn't even worry about using rooting hormone this time of year.
If you decide to go for it, water plant heavily night before. this makes sure the cuttings will be turgid. Cuttings can be 4-6 inches long, remove bottom few leaves, pinch out the growing tip and chuck 'em in a bucket of water for an hour. This allows them to 'bleed' without causing problems.
Stick seven or eight cuttings around the edge of a 6 inch diameter pot. Stick pot in saucer of water until surface is wet. Put the pot in a clear poly bag and put in a light place but not in direct sunlight otherwise they'll cook.
Should be rooted in 4-6 weeks.
Safety tip
Wear gloves and safety glasses when playing with euphorbias!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My self-sown seedlings transplant with no problem when small. Large plants are a different matter. Second Flounders idea for cuttings if yours is not flowering, Karl.
Barry

Post by Barry »

All our melliferas have pegged it over the last few years,sort of prefer pasturii instead now which is much hardier(well is for us);might have to try propagating some as well using Flounders' method.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Good luck with the move Karl :D . I didn't need to move mine as December'10 saw it off. Not so Stygiana which in my opinion is head and shoulders above Mellifera and more exotic looking too.
IMG_0913.JPG
Mine is planted facing north east and flowers well but is not in deep shade.
Do you have this species Karl?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Andy, I don't have that species but would like one!!, where did you purchase it from?. karl.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'll be looking out for that one!
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Karl.... Euphorbia Stygiana is not that difficult to find (crug have it for instance). Ive had mine for many years but I think I got mine from Pan Global plants. Mine has also self seeded around the garden unlike Mellifera. Strange to think this plant is on the endangered list as its virtually extinct in the Azores where it originates.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I like the look of that, cheers Andy icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Euphorbia stygiana on sale at
http://samshrub.co.uk/mailorder/product ... cts_id=300

Not come across them before, they have a number of other things that are on my wishlist, and prices look reasonable too.

(They appear to only sell mailorder during the winter)
pdid

Post by pdid »

There's also Pasteurii worth considering. This was from seed a few years ago.
pasteurii-1701470065.jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Isn't E. pasteurii a cross between mellifera and stygiana?
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Liz has them at Urban icon_thumright