Can a Trachycarpus get the Strangles?

GoggleboxUK

Can a Trachycarpus get the Strangles?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

During 'that' winter of 2010 I had a small Trachycarpus Fortunei in a large pot as shown below:

It suffered very badly but has since been planted out in 2011 and started to move a little in 2012.

It has now got a mass of frond leaflets all tightly packed together in the crown and I am wondering if this may be a frond that opened whilst only part way out of the growing point and is now blocking anything else from growing up and out?

It has hardly moved since winter 2010 whereas my Chammy has put out at least 12 new fronds since the damaged ones grew out and has been back to full growth for 2 years now.

This is the Trachycarpus in the centre of this pic:

Tom2006

Re: Can a Trachycarpus get the Strangles?

Post by Tom2006 »

It could just be that the growth point has been so badly damaged that it will never recover. icon_scratch
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hmmm, it is yellowing this year slightly so you could be right there Tom.

I might give it til next spring and if it still hasn't done anything then I'll replace it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Hmmm, it is yellowing this year slightly so you could be right there Tom.

I might give it til next spring and if it still hasn't done anything then I'll replace it.
Yes, its sad when you have given so much tlc but when you can get a palm bigger for relatively nothing these days maybe just do that. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Any close up pics of the crown?

How about some surgery on it? Leave existing leaves to produce energy, but trim back as safe as closely possible the spears to try and clear any obstructions? Like with your Dicksonia antarctica.

If it comes good will be a true survivor.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yes, here are some I took this morning. You can see the frond where the tips are burnt is the one that was a spear when winter 2010 hit. There are a couple of other fronds that look like they've tried to push past it and I know often a damaged palm will put out a couple of smaller fronds but these don't seem to be getting out of the crown at all.

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Yes, here are some I took this morning. You can see the frond where the tips are burnt is the one that was a spear when winter 2010 hit. There are a couple of other fronds that look like they've tried to push past it and I know often a damaged palm will put out a couple of smaller fronds but these don't seem to be getting out of the crown at all.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

that look really squashed up, i'd get some shears and gently lop it back bit by bit until you can get as close as possible to the growth point, the spears will hopefully start moving freely again, albeit some in half leafs when fully opened, but it looks jam packed in there right now.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hmmm, would that actually do any good?

I remember when Ste 'stripped' one of his smaller Trachys and the growth point was around 18" below the point where the fronds emerge at the crown. Obviously stripping it back that far would be impossible as there's only about 8" of trunk but wouldn't it be more damaging? I can't see how taking off the top 4-5 inches or so would create a release if the fronds are bunching up from lower downas it appears.

Also, on a healthy Trachycarpus the new spears emerge from an extremely tightly packed crown, even too tight to get a pencil down there when the spears are as fat as my thumb once clear and ready to unfurl.

Has nobody else had this happen? I'd be interested to know what measures people took and what effect it had.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Hmmm, would that actually do any good?

I remember when Ste 'stripped' one of his smaller Trachys and the growth point was around 18" below the point where the fronds emerge at the crown. Obviously stripping it back that far would be impossible as there's only about 8" of trunk but wouldn't it be more damaging? I can't see how taking off the top 4-5 inches or so would create a release if the fronds are bunching up from lower downas it appears.

Also, on a healthy Trachycarpus the new spears emerge from an extremely tightly packed crown, even too tight to get a pencil down there when the spears are as fat as my thumb once clear and ready to unfurl.

Has nobody else had this happen? I'd be interested to know what measures people took and what effect it had.
I wouldnt go below, just in line with where the spears pop out, just to get a better look too at whats going on. Going below growth point too risky.

That's what i'd do anyway, better than binning it :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'll have a snip at it tomorrow and see what I can reveal.

;)
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

How about this for the strangles.... Trachycarpus Manipur...
Attachments
IMG_1047.JPG
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:shock:

Blimey, that looks seriously suffocated!

Is that your plant Andy? Is that its current situation or was it resolved?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well, to update, I had a go at the Trachycarpus with the secateurs yesterday and carefully peeled down the fibre and cut away dead stalk ends from the small trunk.

I was surprised that, about 2" below the top of where the old trunk finished, there was a place where I could get to the stems of the 2 partially opened, small fronds and I cut these off as low into the crown as I could get.

I removed all the collected dead leaf matter and dirt and found I could push my little finger into the top and bent a few of the old stalks outward to create a little more room. I had a feel around in there but, if there is a new spear in there, it must be too low down for me to be able to get my fingertip to it.

If it is going to survive then there's no reason why it shouldn't start to push out new growth again so I'll keep an eye on it over the next few months and see what happens.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Got any pics?

So you reckon you found the cause, expanding recovery smaller Spears opening at growth point blocking it?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Andy Martin wrote:How about this for the strangles.... Trachycarpus Manipur...

New growth point(s)?