1 Metre trunked Jubaea Hardiness?

karl66

1 Metre trunked Jubaea Hardiness?

Post by karl66 »

I'm very tempted to purchase a stunning jubaea chillensis with almost 1 metre of trunk, I have a much smaller one about 16 years old with about 30cm trunk which has gone through 2 winter's planted with just small amount of leaf damage, does the metre of trunk make the plant much hardier or is there little in it?, my other slight problem might be that it's in a 500litre pot !! so some serious lifting required if I go ahead :) i'm going to have a measure up the wkend to see if I can create a centre piece on my front drive for it. karl.
jungle jas

Re: 1 Metre trunked Jubaea Hardiness?

Post by jungle jas »

I used to spend some time in Halesowen when I was a lot younger, but I have to say years ago i wasn't too interested in the temperature, well only temperatures of the girls. :lol: But I seem to remember Its on a bit of a hill so temperatures will be very variable. What temperatures do you get where you are! It must have been quite cold to burn the Leaves on the Jub if it was established. You would expect the big one to be hardier but there is a limit! 500 ltr is some pot. :ahhh!:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Jas, when I say burn,i'm going a little over the top!, just a little on the tip's really. My current 16 year one has now settled well & I feel that unless we had a 2010 a large one would sail through winter's here, i'm right next to the clent hill's Hayley green , but not exactly on a hill. If I go for this beast it will have to be on the front of property on a raised bed. There's a couple of niggling doubt's in my head right now & the first one is that they are so slow grower's & will I ever see the benefit & secondly the sheer expense & losing it in a bad winter :cry: , if it did take a hit it would look awful as a centrepiece on the drive?. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

If you change your mind on the big one Karl and want to play safer the spanish palm guy has some 55cm nice ones, advertised on ebay germany. http://www.ebay.de/sch/m.html?_odkw=&it ... &_from=R40
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Actually think i translated wrong, i think they are smaller than i thought........ :oops:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

£1500 is a LOT of money for most people and a lot to lose.... It's a gamble but I have a feeling you can get pretty cold temps in your location as it's very central. It's up to you at the end of the day (and perhaps your other half?)
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, it really is a hard one to call for me :roll: £1500 is a lot of money in any language!!, I think more so than the money is the thought of losing it although I doubt my temp's would go down as low as your Yorkshire location, remember also round my back garden it's very conjested with plant's so I reckon I've probably gone up a zone or so?. To be honest my other half is not impressed by my latest idea for the front so there may have to be a compromise .......................... somewhere. karl.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Just don't do a Charles Saatchi.......
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Kris, it really is a hard one to call for me :roll: £1500 is a lot of money in any language!!, I think more so than the money is the thought of losing it although I doubt my temp's would go down as low as your Yorkshire location, remember also round my back garden it's very conjested with plant's so I reckon I've probably gone up a zone or so?. To be honest my other half is not impressed by my latest idea for the front so there may have to be a compromise .......................... somewhere. karl.

My lowest recorded temp was -10.0 once. My closest weatherstation lowest temp was -10.1 (2010)
The coldest I can see in your area was -13 in 2012 (Stourbridge) I would look into your areas temp record and duration to see if its worth the risk. I would still go for it if I could afford that much comfortably.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, i'm going to have to invest in a weather station in the future!, I was basically going on the north/south divide when I mentioned temp's, I thing anywhere can have one off temp's but I would imagine in the bigger picture it would still be a degree or two warmer being further south?, anyway i'm still debating the jub as it's one of the original oil drum ones that was taken to Portugal as a 16 year old example & left in the ground for 10 years!!, it's then been shipped back over :shock: . karl.
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Do you have a photo of it Karl?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi rick, yes I have plenty!!, i'm toying with this one or I know someone who's got some nice one's about half this size & i'm awaiting some pic'c of them Saturday so I can make a decision either way, I will get some pic's up when I've decided!!, I may also have a nice butia caterinensis with 110cm of trunk for sale?. karl.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I can't add any more with regards to Hardiness, but with my limited experience with growing Jubs plant in full Sun, they grow so much quicker with the sun on the leaves. icon_thumright
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

I would love to see a photo of the Jubaea, these guys are pretty hardy although I did see one of the original oil drum palms which did not survive 2010 winter however, that was in Stockport and I believe the low was past -15. I think if you chose to get one you would just need to be wary of any freak colds and protect as required because £1400 is a hell of a lot. Also, could you not plant it in the back garden which by the sounds of it, has a better micro-climate plus you would enjoy it more.
And as we discussed before, if the But Cat comes up for sale I would be very interested.
Regards,
Rick
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Anyone looking for a descent Jubaea should check out the Euro Palm Society forum posts, there are some excellent ones being sold with a whopping 85% discount. :D