1 Metre trunked Jubaea Hardiness?

karl66

Re: 1 Metre trunked Jubaea Hardiness?

Post by karl66 »

Rick, i'm almost sure the company you mention have no large jubaea, only trunks about 20/25cm high & about 12cm wide. Like I mentioned before rick, the large caterinensis is for sale but it would have to be collected, I've had no luck with butia ,lost 2 & a 3rd erispathia on the slide!!. the cat suffered some leaf burn last winter but is growing really strong again. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'm still on the lookout for a large Jub if anyone can point me in the right direction?, the 1 metre one is awesome but a bit rich for me pricewise at present!, could do with a minimum 45cm x45cm clear trunk as the one I already have has about 25cmx25cm, all the german/dutch nursery's seem to only cater for smaller ones?, probably due to shipping cost's, i'm amazed more british nursery's don't stock them?. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Karl just measured mine for reference. The height of clear trunk is 50-60cm depending on what you count as the top of the trunk.

The circumference is 130cm at the base.

Regards

Kris
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, when measuring jubaea trunk I take the tape from soil level to bottom of spear, the one I bought off simon at amulree was 13 year's old & very well rooted , it's been planted out about 2.5 years & is now starting to bulk out at the base but is about 25/28cm of clear trunk. The massive one I've been offered really is tempting but all told is going to be to big to get into the space intended!!, despite all the money I've spent on garden's there's something magical about jubaea that draw's me to them, I regret now not getting one from athleas plant's at the time I recommended them to you!, they were a great price for that size. I've had a good look at lot's of german sites & they seem very expensive apart from small ones. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Kris, when measuring jubaea trunk I take the tape from soil level to bottom of spear, the one I bought off simon at amulree was 13 year's old & very well rooted , it's been planted out about 2.5 years & is now starting to bulk out at the base but is about 25/28cm of clear trunk. The massive one I've been offered really is tempting but all told is going to be to big to get into the space intended!!, despite all the money I've spent on garden's there's something magical about jubaea that draw's me to them, I regret now not getting one from athleas plant's at the time I recommended them to you!, they were a great price for that size. I've had a good look at lot's of german sites & they seem very expensive apart from small ones. karl.

I would say mine has 57 cm of clear trunk height.