Shed makeover, ideas needed

Delboy

Shed makeover, ideas needed

Post by Delboy »

We have a big old brick shed, 14 ' long by 5' deep. It used to be a shed and coalhouse but the previous people knocked it into one and then bricked up the one door.......worse brickwork ever btw.

Its a handy size, and very much needed so knocking down is not really an option, plus the roof is asbestos.

Its no looker, and is in need of a makeover. I've added guttering ( 4" short GRRRRR) and now I want to do something to tart the outside up.
I was going to add reed screening to the roof, to match the adjoining pergola but I'm stuck for the outside.

I've thought about a living wall, but I think it may be too shaded, and hard to build. Only thing I can think of is to cover with fencing overlap boards but I am not sure if it would look any better than it does now.

I can't really cover it with a climber as the washing line runs along side it about 2' away so anything that climbs will end up clinging to the washing line and the wife will make my life hell.
DSCN1608.JPG

Any ideas?
Deedee

Re: Shed makeover, ideas needed

Post by Deedee »

The reason i got into gardening forums is because i Googled, Shed makeovers Dellboy :D

A couple of pics for now as im going out..

I think your shed needs to be painted Darker..

You could add trellis and the bamboo roof would look good.

Just a couple of ideas that you can play around with.
Get back to you later with more pics icon_thumleft
PS our guttering fell off about 3 years ago and is still off grrrr :mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'd definitely go for the living wall, that's probably going to be my next big project on the north wall of my house so shady won't be an issue as I plan to fill it with grasses and ferns.

My plan is to knock up an elogated ladder style wooden frame thenattach the bottoms of sacks (either plastic or burlap) that will hang from one 'rung' and almost touch the one below. I'll set the 'rungs' about 8" from the wall and put plastic troughs into the sacks so the sacking can be changed easily if it rots down.

The troughs should angle about 20 degrees on a forward tilt allowing grasses to grow up and out to give a cascading effect with one layer on top of the other.

I'm also tempted to fix in a few rocks between the plants so the overall effect looks like a cliff face.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This is a beauty

I think Dee's pictures look great but the style seems a bit cottage garden whereas this is incredibly exotic and, if you take a while propagating and separating grasses and ferns it could be done relatively cheaply.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I fancied one filled with succulents and the like.
I considered ferns as the shade wouldn't be a problem but I thought they may get too big plus keeping them moist enough could be tricky.

I was going to do a ladder like you said but use some cheap pond liner to make pouches (with added drainage holes)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thats a heck of a living wall Gogs, love it. I fancied a try at one myself on the left of my shed.
The pics are just ideas that you can adapt to your own design, Trellis is good for hanging stuff on, wall pots etc. Bamboo trellis is an idea..
Dellboy, do you have electricity in your shed? A small water feature would look good.
Hub took my metal line pole out and we have a retractable line, the hook is amongst the ivy on the bottom fence..

A living wall someone built on another forum..

http://www.growsonyou.com/derekp/blog/2 ... iving-wall

Or seperate pockets.

flounder

Post by flounder »

Did the inspiration for that one come from her turn ups I wonder? :shock:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'd be painting it with masonry and pure black. Then i'd reconsider planting options icon_thumleft
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

maybe rendered smooth, date palm leaves look tropical for roof covering if you can get hold of enough

shade loving climbers up the wall with horizontal wires, clematis montana, fatshedera, chocolate vine, hydrangea seemanii
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Things like finials on the sides of the shed may look good, also thin about colours that go with the style of garden you want to create as a shed can be a great feature.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Delboy wrote: Its no looker, and is in need of a makeover.
That shed's oozing character, i like it as is. Proper grandads shed.The opening must have been bigger at some time , looking at the brickwork under the right hand side window. Would be eazy peazy to bump it out as it' doesn't look like its bearing any load .
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Delboy wrote: Its no looker, and is in need of a makeover.
That shed's oozing character, i like it as is. Proper grandads shed.The opening must have been bigger at some time , looking at the brickwork under the right hand side window. Would be eazy peazy to bump it out as it' doesn't look like its bearing any load .

It would of been 2 sheds years ago, we had the exact same shed in our garden when we grew up just around the corner from here. The part that has been bricked up (badly lol) and now has a window would of had a door and inside there was a brick wall separating it from the other shed, it was a coalhouse and I can remember as a lad the coalman filling ours up :lol:
At some point its been knocked into one. I did consider knocking that part down, getting the inside wall rebuilt and having a smaller shed but its bloody rammed in there so really I need all the space.

It does have character, but its been badly bodged. I suppose I could redo the brickwork on that one side or put a door back in and separate them.

Other thing I've considered is knocking the bodged wall and window out along with the shed door and making a bigger wooden double door or French doors.