biggest leaved trees

Mr List

biggest leaved trees

Post by Mr List »

I was just wondering because I couldn't think of anything myself,

what trees/shrubs ( not hardy included, obviously ) have leaves that are bigger than t.rex leaves?

and I mean simple leaves like a rex not daft compound leaflets mumbo jumbo.
Kristen

Re: biggest leaved trees

Post by Kristen »

Mr List wrote: not daft compound leaflets mumbo jumbo.
So that rules out Amorphophallus titanum and Raphia regalis then ...
and probably Manicaria saccifera too:

My Musa sikki leaves are pretty big :)

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons is a fairly decent size

and Marojejya darianii

One the Alocasia perhaps? Alocasia robusta?
HTUK01.jpg
Giant Caladium even maybe? :lol:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 10,1774482
a story not unlike "Aliens ate my hamster" though I suspect ...
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

exactly all the ones that don't count as I did already know of them.

a regular tree/shrub growing type plant, any with bigger leaves than a rex?

I am finding it odd that I can't think of any tropical plants that have bigger leaves because it would be pretty remarkable if the tree/shrub with the biggest regular leaves turned out to be a uk hardy one.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Mr List wrote:exactly all the ones that don't count as I did already know of them.
Thought as much :)

I loved this palm leaf (photo taken in Zanzibar, dunno what type of tree it is)
IMG_3497_PalmLeaf.jpg
Not huge, but impressive, I also like the Oak "Carl Ferris Miller"
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Gunnera leaves are the biggest that I know of that can be grown easily in the UK

http://www.whatsondalian.com/ent_images ... c50a6f.jpg
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

leunerj wrote:Ficus dammaropsis maybe?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/6561763837/
that's a nice example.
I thought of some philodendrons also.

I wouldn't call either clear size winners over a t.rex though.
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Gunnera leaves are the biggest that I know of that can be grown easily in the UK

http://www.whatsondalian.com/ent_images ... c50a6f.jpg
lol you forget how to read or something?
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

The girl with black bag looks like :alien: lilliput and the girl with green t-shirt looks like a fairy.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Kristen wrote: I loved this palm leaf (photo taken in Zanzibar, dunno what type of tree it is)
IMG_3497_PalmLeaf.jpg
Not huge, but impressive, I also like the Oak "Carl Ferris Miller"
Its a Pritchardia, most likely P. pacifica. STRICTLY tropical, I have a few nice ones in my garden with leaves approaching 2m diameter. Ive also go half a dozen Johannesteijsmannia altifrons , one J. magnifica and a J. lanceolata, all young potted plants at this point but growing well. Im after the "joey on a stick" J. perakensis but they seem scarce as hens teeth.

Speaking of scarce, I had a Marojejya darianii in a pot but it died a rapid death for unknown reasons after growing nicely for 12 months and Ive never seen another one for sale. Same with my Alocasia robusta, not robust at all!

My Amorphophallus titanum is amazing! I can stand under the leaf which has a petiole close to 2 metres and as thick as my forearm. The leaf blade itself is over 2 metres in diameter.

Ive just sourced some seed of the giant water lilly Victoria amazonica from Thailand (legally) but havent received them yet. Not sure what Ill do with them once they germinate, my largest pond is about the same size as one of their leaves, but practicality is not my strong suit :roll:

As for large leaved shrubs, Tetrapanax is nowhere even close to the largest leaf. Think of Anthuriums, Philodendrons etc for tropical giant leaved vines and herbs. I have some Anthurium cubense that have leaves 2 metres long and 50cms wide. The teak Tectona grandis has very large leaves as do a number of common garden shrubs over here whos names evade me this early in the morning...

There are many palms with entire leaves such as Licuala grandis and L. elegans with leaves approaching 2 metres diameter. Lots more that I cant think of that make tetrapanax look like a baby.
call

Post by call »

Dendroseris litoralis is a nice one icon_thumright
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

The most obvious is Paulowina leaves and Indian bean tree. I still think the leaves will be smaller than Tetrapanax rex.

Magnolia macrophylla has huge leaves though not too hardy.

Some Sycamore's and Maple's have huge leaves, no where as big as Tetrapanax, esp if stooled.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Blairs wrote:Magnolia macrophylla has huge leaves though not too hardy.
It is very hardy in respect of winter cold, to waaay colder than Britain ever gets. It doesn't like Britain's chilly, and above all, windy, summers, though.