musa basjoo rootball?.

karl66

musa basjoo rootball?.

Post by karl66 »

I realise it will be time to chop the stem's down in a few month's but I've only ever bought musa's with 7.5/10 litre pot's previously, ive seen some in 30/60 litre tub's!!, I can see a big hole being dug for these!!, if you bought the same size musa in say a 12litre pot would this be enough rootball to sustain such a thick trunk?. karl.
Tom2006

Re: musa basjoo rootball?.

Post by Tom2006 »

Sorry I can t answer this one but will be interested to know. How come your cutting the stem? It might not get cold enough to kill it. Ive planted lots of small ones in the garden this year not sure whether to lift of just try to wrap with straw?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
grub

Post by grub »

I've never lifted or protected Basjoo, some years they get cut back to the ground by the winter, some years not. I can't see what can be gained by chopping them down tbh, as for will a small pot sustain a tall nana? Don't see why not if it's got enough food and water, the roots would be working hard to sustain it though. First Basjoo I ever bought was 5ft tall in a 2l pot and they were just sat in a tray of water in a poly.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

any cutting down, is done as part of the spring tidy up. I just cut back to firm growth, same a Grub, I don't protect apart from the front clump which I try to keep tall enough to walk under.
Attachments
2013-08-25 17-57-10 FG Basjoo clump.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by plantwoman »

i have a clump of Musa basjBo in my tropical border ,we are in zone 8 Castleford .i wait till first frost affects the leaves then i cut back to where leaves grow from and cover in usual way ..i also mulch round the roots.Linda at little Eden Castleford
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

plantwoman wrote:i have a clump of Musa basjBo in my tropical border ,we are in zone 8 Castleford .i wait till first frost affects the leaves then i cut back to where leaves grow from and cover in usual way ..i also mulch round the roots.Linda at little Eden Castleford
How did the open day go for ngs?
kata

Post by kata »

Musa basjoo rootball

Maybe frost will not arrive then we can leave outdoors, hoping.

icon_cheers