Growing hardy bannana's.

karl66

Growing hardy bannana's.

Post by karl66 »

I've kept musa basjoo for a few season's now & had really impressive results, with them just growing back each spring even with little protection. My biggest specimen is over 9ft tall with a chunky stem although it has been grown in full sun, I have now added another six large basjoo & sikkimensis to the collection but don't have enough sunny spots left!!, what sort of shade can they tolerate to still grow to acceptable level?. karl.
charliepridham

Re: Growing hardy bannana's.

Post by charliepridham »

I have musa basjoo in 100% shade, unprotected it is killed to the ground each year and by this time of year is usually about 6' I think it would do a lot better with some water, its in a very dry place and gets no additional water
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks Charlie, I've decided to but a large sikkimensis in a 30 litre tub as I've read there not as hardy as basjoo until they become mature, the extra basjoo's are now planted but I have to wait until the 17thseptember for the large sikki, just hope it will settle in time for winter!, think I've found a semi shaded area for it. karl.
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Are you leaving the Sikki out Karl? I tried them outside many years ago and had no luck whatsoever so be careful mate.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Rick, I lost a small 7 litre sikki a few year's back but my garden was not built up as it is now so I may have created a micro climate!!, my last one rotted to ground never to be seen!, I've gone for a monster one this time but it cant be delivered until 17 th sep so I may think about keeping in pot in the kitchen :lol: , the money I had off the butia has been burning a hole in my pocket :wink: , to be honest, up until a few months ago I promised myself i'd give more banana's a miss but when they get going they add another dimension to any tropical garden. karl.