yay
45%
nay
55%

Total votes: 11

Mr List

climbers in bamboo

Post by Mr List »

I personally don't like it when my climbers start to get into my bamboos.
they weigh them down and start to look scruffy imho.
what does everybody else think?
allangreenbean

Re: climbers in bamboo

Post by allangreenbean »

I'm in the nay camp, not nearly strong enough to hold a climber.

I think bamboo looks best on its own and climbers scrambling over a fence/wall/shed just the way nature intended :lol:

Mr L. I have tried growing Clematis armandii to replicate what you have done but mine keeps browning from the ground up.

I don't seem to have much luck with Clematis so tend to stick with Everygreen Lonicera such as 'Copper Beauty'.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have to tie my P nigra up anyway due to the wind and rain they wouldn't stsnd a chance with climbers.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I suppose it depends on the size of the plant.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

allangreenbean wrote:I'm in the nay camp, not nearly strong enough to hold a climber.

I think bamboo looks best on its own and climbers scrambling over a fence/wall/shed just the way nature intended :lol:
I think you'll find climbers will climb up anything they come across, as they naturally twine around things, scramblers need something to grab hold of.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

I've had to say yay, it does depend on the climber and the bamboo but I prefer the natural(lazy) look
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

viticella type clematis keep getting into them here and it looks OK and as its annual growth its gone again for winter. It has always surprised me that they manage to do it without damage to either themselves or the Bamboo
vanessa2 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thats a beautiful photo Charlie, and when anyone sees that, how can they vote into the no camp.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

because it isn't the full picture of what it actually looks like, just a close up of pretty flowers.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

How about my chilean glory vine going up the Robusta Campbell in the early september video?

campbell strong enough not to even flinch at the delicate glory vines tendrils and superlight weight, plus lovely red flowers heading up to the sky. Wasn't even intentional but the vine headed that way :lol:

Heavy climbers like clematis etc i'm not sure about.

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

your video is what prompted this post :oops: :oops:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yay icon_thumright I have a Mandevilla laxa growing through my bamboo & I think it looks great...
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mr List wrote:your video is what prompted this post :oops: :oops:
but chilean vine tis such a dainty delicate climber, my boo's arn't even phased by it icon_cheers