Plant ID Please Help!!

andycole94

Plant ID Please Help!!

Post by andycole94 »

Hi all!

I've recently got back from Malta with a selection of different seeds I've picked up from all over the island and I haven't labelled as well as I maybe should have, but have still grown everything I've brought home.
I have one species which has really got me stumped :? If it helps, the seeds were collected from a small tree/shrub with legumes hanging from it which were around 10 inches long, I have no idea what the flowers may look like.

Here's some a picture of a few seedlings at around 4 months old:

[IMG]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4468/1j7j.jpg/IMG]

As I'm sure your seeing, they do look a lot like acacias or possibly albizias, but I grow many of these, from seed, and nothing is a match.

If any of you have any ideas id be very appreciative. Thanks!!
Clive60

Re: Plant ID Please Help!!

Post by Clive60 »

I have a feeling this may be the invasive (in the Med) Acacia Leucocephala growing everywhere even out of pavement cracks. The flowers are a creamy white and grows very fast. If it isn't that it is something similar. I brought some of these seeds back from Turkey many years ago.
andycole94

Post by andycole94 »

Clive60 wrote:I have a feeling this may be the invasive (in the Med) Acacia Leucocephala growing everywhere even out of pavement cracks. The flowers are a creamy white and grows very fast. If it isn't that it is something similar. I brought some of these seeds back from Turkey many years ago.
After typing into google, I think youve hit the nail on the head.
How did you get on with your seeds? And how hardy did you find them? May try them outside next year.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

could it be Acacia Dealbata?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

fern Rob wrote:could it be Acacia Dealbata?
Not glaucous enough for that.

But agreed, it could well be some other Acacia species. I'd also not rule out Albizia species.
Clive60 wrote:I have a feeling this may be the invasive (in the Med) Acacia Leucocephala growing everywhere even out of pavement cracks. The flowers are a creamy white and grows very fast. If it isn't that it is something similar. I brought some of these seeds back from Turkey many years ago.
Now Leucaena leucocephala (and yes, that too is a possible).
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

They look identical to some small trees I am growing from seed obtained in the Canaries, I think they are some type of acacia tree. If they are the same they are not hardy, all the ones I left outside last winter died. :ahhh!:
andycole94

Post by andycole94 »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I'm going to go with the Leucaena leucocephala as this defiantly looks like the parent plants I saw in Malta.

Just for future reference icon_study , here are some pictures of Acacia dealbata (Pic 1) and Albizia julibrissin (Pic 2) seedlings which I'm also growing.

[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/203/738c.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/89/98ke.jpg]

(Please forgive my coding, I am still new to this :!: )