Canna help!.

karl66

Canna help!.

Post by karl66 »

The house where I've been working today has just donated a massive clump of canna Tropicana, it's 5ft tall & has a rootball that would fill a 25litre pot, is it best to plant it deep & cut it back? my other option is to divide it up & pot them up?, although I've not really got anywhere suitable indoors for them :? , if planted deep outside will a wrapping of fleece keep it alive in a normal winter?. karl.
fern Rob

Re: Canna help!.

Post by fern Rob »

I would divide it.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

How many stems does it have, Karl?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Could you not store it as one plant.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

GREVILLE wrote:How many stems does it have, Karl?
Grev, I have about 10 very thick stem's. karl.
pdid

Post by pdid »

fern Rob wrote:I would divide it.
fern Rob wrote:Could you not store it as one plant.
Confused? :roll:

Firstly, does the plant look ok? It may be worth putting a picture up to make sure it's not virused.

If its ok cut back and either leave as is or change the compost and store somewhere frost free, a dark loft/garage/shed is ideal.

April-ish next year divide and pot into smaller pots to grow on ready for planting out around May time.

Basically the same treatment as dahlia.

I left a few out last year and none came back!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I would divide in the spring too. Stored as-one means less drying out over winter than if stored divided now and stored as smaller, individual, tubers.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

pdid wrote:

Firstly, does the plant look ok? It may be worth putting a picture up to make sure it's not virused.

If its ok cut back and either leave as is or change the compost and store somewhere frost free, a dark loft/garage/shed is ideal.

April-ish next year divide and pot into smaller pots to grow on ready for planting out around May time.

I was just mulling over what I would do.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If it has that many stems, Karl, I assume it's come through a number of winters successfully. Perhaps you could ask how they have kept it and decide what you would do based on their information.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

pdid wrote:

icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks all, grev the main gardener in the house has deceased & his wife has little knowledge of overwintering plants. There must of been a bed of 20x20ft & at least half was full of these giant canna!!, she briefly told me fred used to sometimes lift them & store them dry?, surely they need some water/soil to survive. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

think about how you buy bulbs/tubers etc from garden centres,all dry in crates.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Many thanks all, grev the main gardener in the house has deceased & his wife has little knowledge of overwintering plants. There must of been a bed of 20x20ft & at least half was full of these giant canna!!, she briefly told me fred used to sometimes lift them & store them dry?, surely they need some water/soil to survive. karl.
I've done a video discussing various overwintering strategies for cannas. Maybe worth a look?