trex rot-tastic

Mr List

trex rot-tastic

Post by Mr List »

my trex seems to have a disposition preferential to rotting at every opportunity.

after last year it rotted where a leaf base had stayed on the trunk too long, now has a big tree like hole wound in the trunk after I cutted out all the rot.
that healed ok now.

after winter where I cut off the mushed growing point down to the new growth point rotted and kept rotting down the middle of the trunk.
I used h2o2 and covered the hole with a pop bottle to keep it dry. I think that one is doing ok now.

just today I noticed where I had cut off the flower buds looked a bit iffy and that has rotted all down to the middle of the trunk aswell.
:roll:
I chucked on a load of h2o2 and if fizzed like mad.
will wait and see what happened there, not great to have weak points before winter.

any ideas why it seems to love to rot all the time?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: trex rot-tastic

Post by Dave Brown »

They like to have ample water, but don't seem to be happy if permanently wet. I also think it is like a cut or graze on human skin. If there is plenty of sap rising, infection is flushed out, but if damaged and it doesn't "bleed" infection gets in. I'd sterilise the secateurs before cutting, bathe with H2O2 after you cut, then perhaps try a sealing compound for trees, although not tried sealing, myself.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

will have to try using h2o2 straight away next time
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote: then perhaps try a sealing compound for trees, although not tried sealing, myself.
Not a good idea, it seals infection into the wound and prevents it drying out to kill off the rot.