Buying pots of vivax aureocaulis.

karl66

Buying pots of vivax aureocaulis.

Post by karl66 »

As mentioned recently I went to visit a bamboo enthusiast who had massive grove's of established boo's planted out, this chap often dig's out clumps from the mother plants & leaves them in massive 65/85 litre tub's for minimum of 3/4 years until there a solid mass of root's......... anyway last wk I came back with 65litre one with 4 very thick canes 10/12ft tall £25!!, he also has some 85litre with 6/8 thick canes about 14ft tall very bushy & healthy, these are £70?, I think for established rooted boo's these are bargain's? whats your thought's. i'm planning on putting some in my sons garden for screening, with a barrier!!, I bought some much smaller ones for my own garden a few years ago that were £60 and they were tiny in comparison. karl.
fern Rob

Re: Buying pots of vivax aureocaulis.

Post by fern Rob »

Seems good.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

At that size they sound a good buy. Bamboo is not cheap and thats a big pot full.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i gave some vivax to my dad earlier and we were saying to each other we cant understand why bamboo is so expensive, it spreads fast, grows fast, divides easily. is it just because people think "thats tall, I can charge lots for that"?

i would say £70 is a rubbish price, but when taken in the context of a marketplace where everything is overpriced it might be good price comparitivly
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Scottish bamboo have 5litre vivax aureocaulis for £36 plus delivery, there about on par with others also, I think the key factor here is that these massive tub's have not just been dug out but have been rooted for3/4years in pots which makes a major difference to price. When you buy 14/16ft boo's that have rooted for this long you don't lose any height on transplanting into the ground !, if you dig the same height plants out direct from the mother plant theres always a sulking/settling period where you probably lose half your canes. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dividing plants and growing on is expensive so that's why bamboo is expensive. Most plants are cheaper because they are from seed or cuttings.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I think those prices sound great for the amount of bamboo that you are receiving...what varieties did they have Karl?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi simba, the only ones for sale were vivax & aureosulcata, the the latter is also one of my favourite boo's. There was nigra & aureo in standard green form but these were his private collection :) , when vivax is given the room & properly managed I don't think there's a more stunning looking bamboo for the uk climate. karl.