Eriobotrya japonica

Conifers

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by Conifers »

leunerj wrote:Is it possible to graft evergreens onto deciduous rootstock?
Yes, as long as the two plants are reasonably closely related.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

samj wrote:I bought it for the foliage and hadn't considered the fruits .. Are the fruits good enough to eat when grown in the uk?
Certainly seen ripe fruits in the UK but never tried those. I also grow for the evergreen foliage and fruit is a bonus.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Blairs wrote:
samj wrote:I bought it for the foliage and hadn't considered the fruits .. Are the fruits good enough to eat when grown in the uk?
Certainly seen ripe fruits in the UK but never tried those. I also grow for the evergreen foliage and fruit is a bonus.
I tried some at the nursery and had the worst stomach cramps afterward for about 2 hours :shock: :lol: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jungle jas wrote:Mine was doing well until the wind ripped all the branches off at the trunk from one side. I think I may have to chop the head of the tree off to get it to look balanced. Has anyone tried this or has any other Ideas. icon_thumright

did you see this link ? Happy for prune action!

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19622
Steph

Post by Steph »

Round here the locals go loopy for the fruit, highly esteemed.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

cordyman wrote:
I tried some at the nursery and had the worst stomach cramps afterward for about 2 hours :shock: :lol: :lol:
Did you eat the seed? I know it is large when the fruit if mature but it is smaller when the fruit is not ripe. The seed has high levels of cyanide in them - so if you want to bump off any annoying neighbours...
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

cordyman wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Mine was doing well until the wind ripped all the branches off at the trunk from one side. I think I may have to chop the head of the tree off to get it to look balanced. Has anyone tried this or has any other Ideas. icon_thumright

Thanks Cordy, now were did I put my pruning shears. icon_scratch icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Blairs wrote:
cordyman wrote:
Did you eat the seed? I know it is large when the fruit if mature but it is smaller when the fruit is not ripe. The seed has high levels of cyanide in them - so if you want to bump off any annoying neighbours...

just the flesh but I guess it was a small fruit and no where near ripe :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jungle jas wrote:
cordyman wrote:

Thanks Cordy, now were did I put my pruning shears. icon_scratch icon_thumright

icon_salut How big is it?
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

About 7 to 8 foot to the first branch ( lollipop style ). icon_thumright