Eriobotrya japonica

Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by Conifers » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:14 pm

leunerj wrote:Is it possible to graft evergreens onto deciduous rootstock?
Yes, as long as the two plants are reasonably closely related.


User avatar
Blairs
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:03 am
Location: Falkirk

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by Blairs » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:14 pm

samj wrote:I bought it for the foliage and hadn't considered the fruits .. Are the fruits good enough to eat when grown in the uk?
Certainly seen ripe fruits in the UK but never tried those. I also grow for the evergreen foliage and fruit is a bonus.


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by cordyman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Blairs wrote:
samj wrote:I bought it for the foliage and hadn't considered the fruits .. Are the fruits good enough to eat when grown in the uk?
Certainly seen ripe fruits in the UK but never tried those. I also grow for the evergreen foliage and fruit is a bonus.
I tried some at the nursery and had the worst stomach cramps afterward for about 2 hours :shock: :lol: :lol:


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by cordyman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:06 pm

jungle jas wrote:Mine was doing well until the wind ripped all the branches off at the trunk from one side. I think I may have to chop the head of the tree off to get it to look balanced. Has anyone tried this or has any other Ideas. icon_thumright

did you see this link ? Happy for prune action!

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19622


Steph
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: East London, bordering Essex.

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by Steph » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:58 pm

samj wrote:I bought it for the foliage and hadn't considered the fruits .. Are the fruits good enough to eat when grown in the uk?
Round here the locals go loopy for the fruit, highly esteemed.


User avatar
Blairs
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:03 am
Location: Falkirk

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by Blairs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 pm

cordyman wrote:
I tried some at the nursery and had the worst stomach cramps afterward for about 2 hours :shock: :lol: :lol:
Did you eat the seed? I know it is large when the fruit if mature but it is smaller when the fruit is not ripe. The seed has high levels of cyanide in them - so if you want to bump off any annoying neighbours...


jungle jas
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Location: Arthog, Gwynedd, North West Wales.

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by jungle jas » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:44 pm

cordyman wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Mine was doing well until the wind ripped all the branches off at the trunk from one side. I think I may have to chop the head of the tree off to get it to look balanced. Has anyone tried this or has any other Ideas. icon_thumright

did you see this link ? Happy for prune action!

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19622
Thanks Cordy, now were did I put my pruning shears. icon_scratch icon_thumright
Ignorance is bliss. What I don't know, wont worry me!

Jas


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by cordyman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Blairs wrote:
cordyman wrote:
I tried some at the nursery and had the worst stomach cramps afterward for about 2 hours :shock: :lol: :lol:
Did you eat the seed? I know it is large when the fruit if mature but it is smaller when the fruit is not ripe. The seed has high levels of cyanide in them - so if you want to bump off any annoying neighbours...

just the flesh but I guess it was a small fruit and no where near ripe :lol:


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by cordyman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 pm

jungle jas wrote:
cordyman wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Mine was doing well until the wind ripped all the branches off at the trunk from one side. I think I may have to chop the head of the tree off to get it to look balanced. Has anyone tried this or has any other Ideas. icon_thumright

did you see this link ? Happy for prune action!

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19622
Thanks Cordy, now were did I put my pruning shears. icon_scratch icon_thumright

icon_salut How big is it?


jungle jas
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Location: Arthog, Gwynedd, North West Wales.

Re: Eriobotrya japonica

Post by jungle jas » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:04 pm

About 7 to 8 foot to the first branch ( lollipop style ). icon_thumright
Ignorance is bliss. What I don't know, wont worry me!

Jas


Post Reply